Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Miniature Horses

Hi Judy,

Thank you for writing about your mini. Miniature horses are genetically predisposed to insulin resistance, so it is very important that you closely monitor the sugar and starch content of his diet. I recommend that you have your pasture analyzed. It is likely dormant this time of year but with the warm weather we've been having in Colorado, there is likely some green at the roots of what appears to be dead grass -- and that can be very high in sugar. You can send in a sample to Equi-Analytical Labs -- www.equi-analytical.com. But, soon your horses, including your mini, will be on mostly hay and that, too, should be analyzed.

Be careful of any sugary treats -- carrots and apples are just not appropriate for insulin resistant horses. If his weight is good and has never had a problem with laminitis, you can offer half a carrot once in a while.

Once on hay, fill in the nutritional gaps to keep his feet healthy (and for all your horses) by giving a comprehensive supplement along with flaxseed meal to provide the omega 3s that are no longer in hay. I recommend either going with the flaxseed meal based supplement, Glanzen Lite Complete or you can feed two preparations: High Point plus Nutra Flax for added flaxseed meal.

Finally, make sure your mini's magnesium and chromium levels are where they need to be. Give him 5,000 mg of magnesium per 250 lbs of body weight in the form of Quiessence because this also provides beneficial chromium.

Keep me posted on his progress!

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Judy Brandt
We recently rescued a mini from CHR and want to keep his weight healthy. We are feeding our two other horses as per your information about free feeding of grass hay...making sure that they always have access to hay. Is there anything special we need to do in regard to feeding our mini that would be different from the other horses? They are all out on a couple acres of pasture 24/7 with shelter but no confinement. In the spring/summer we limit their time on actual pasture by keeping them on a tracking system around the perimeter of the pasture with fencing. Our new boy is 6 years old and healthy. Look forward to your comments. Thank you!
Judy

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

What about feeding ADM Stay Strong to my mini?

Where are you from? Berthoud CO

Hi Judy,

Yes, ADM Stay Strong is safe for minis but keep in mind that there is no vitamin D, vitamin C (needed for older animals) or B vitamins.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Judy Brandt
What about feeding ADM Stay Strong to my mini?

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio