Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hormone Imbalance

Hi Dr. Getty,
I am working with a half-Morgan filly of my neighbor’s. She will be 3 years old in May. She seems to be having some trouble with hormone balance. She is frequently in heat and for long periods (ten days or more at times). I expected her cycling to stop for the winter, but as recently as 2 weeks ago she was in heat. Winter was late to come this year, but I was surprised that once the snow was on the ground and the temperatures were -15 to -25 C she would still be experiencing any heat cycles. Because she is not my horse, I am not in charge of her feeding schedule. I have been given the okay to go ahead and try supplements for her hormone imbalance and I’m hoping my neighbor will allow me to put some slow feeders into her field. Currently she and the other horse and 2 donkeys she shares a field with are let into the corral at night where they have access to a round bale and warmed water trough. During the day, unfortunately, they are out in the field with only the grass they can dig up from below a foot of snow and snow as their water source. I have no idea about he quality of their hay and will do what I can to try and get them onto free choice slow feeding, I know this alone will help her immensely. But aside from that, are there any supplements that I could be giving to support her. They do have mostly free access to a salt block and mixed minerals supplement.
Thanks so much for your advice.

Where are you from? Ontario, CANADA

How did you locate this forum? looking for equine nutrition books on-line, led to website

Re: Hormone Imbalance

Hello Karen,

I can certainly understand your concern. And the first approach (as you have already indicated) is getting her forage during the day, along with water. Snow does not offer enough water -- 12 inches of the average moisture snow only provides 1 inch of water! Dehydration is a very serious issue and I have seen many, many cases of colic during the winter because of it.

I do recommend trying a supplement to help with her hormonal issue (which is exacerbated by the physical stress she is enduring, as you rightly assumed). Give Levelor a try. I have had good results with it. I can likely have it shipped to Canada, but contact me directly about that at gettyequinenutrition@gmail.com

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Karen
Hi Dr. Getty,
I am working with a half-Morgan filly of my neighbor’s. She will be 3 years old in May. She seems to be having some trouble with hormone balance. She is frequently in heat and for long periods (ten days or more at times). I expected her cycling to stop for the winter, but as recently as 2 weeks ago she was in heat. Winter was late to come this year, but I was surprised that once the snow was on the ground and the temperatures were -15 to -25 C she would still be experiencing any heat cycles. Because she is not my horse, I am not in charge of her feeding schedule. I have been given the okay to go ahead and try supplements for her hormone imbalance and I’m hoping my neighbor will allow me to put some slow feeders into her field. Currently she and the other horse and 2 donkeys she shares a field with are let into the corral at night where they have access to a round bale and warmed water trough. During the day, unfortunately, they are out in the field with only the grass they can dig up from below a foot of snow and snow as their water source. I have no idea about he quality of their hay and will do what I can to try and get them onto free choice slow feeding, I know this alone will help her immensely. But aside from that, are there any supplements that I could be giving to support her. They do have mostly free access to a salt block and mixed minerals supplement.
Thanks so much for your advice.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO