Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Hot-brained" and Louis L'Amour

Cristine,

Does he have these outbursts when he is turned out with his horse buddies? Don't rule out normal prey-animal fear (vs. a medical problem/feed issue/etc.); it can take a lot of time with a high-fear horse to convince him that a human is a good "buddy" that he can relax with, too.

Regards,
Jackie

Where are you from? Indiana

How did you locate this forum? I'm a big fan of Dr. Getty's book :)

Dr Getty,
I think I get it. NSCs are sugar and starch and indicate the Glycemic Index. Yes? So yes, I will call LMF and ask some numbers. The more I read the more I think this new GI approach is the right thing for Sam. I am amused that after generations of horsemen, the old cowboys called it "hot-brained" and knew that alot of grain could impact a horse's behavior.
THANKS.

Where are you from? Sedro-Woolley, WA

How did you locate this forum? newsletter

Jackie, You are absolutely right, Sam's "outbursts" are 100% human sparked. Sam has very legitimate reason for his distrust, however, I have owned him for 5 years and have never given him reason to fear me. Unless, you consider the fact that I am still trying to become a confident and gentle LEADER. He has huge survival "skill" and that is likely what kept him alive after being abandoned in the Mojave Desert for 11 months. I do think that nutritionally we can help minimize his panic quotient though. Can't hurt right?
Thank you for your interest Jackie. Go to Dr.G's website and look me up and get my e-mail and write me.

Where are you from? Sedro-Woolley, WA

How did you locate this forum? newsletter

Hi Cristine,

The glycemic index is a measure of how the blood glucose level rises with specific feeds. And it stands to reason that the higher the GI, the higher the %NSC since the more sugar and starch (higher %NSC) the more glucose would be pumped into the blood (higher GI).

So, a low starch feed is very helpful. I would still contact LMF to confirm the exact %NSC since it can be lower in sugar and starch than other feeds but may not be low enough.

Glad his eyes are ok. And I agree with Jackie... I expected that he has a buddy, but if he does not, this can be a major factor in horse's erratic behavior. I have seen horses become very ill simply because they will not lie down and sleep due to being alone. I don't know if this is the case with your horse, but if it is, it's time to think about this.

Keep me posted.

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Cristine Cameron
Thank you for your response Dr. Getty. Sam and I went to a Board Cert.Vet.Opthamologist just the other day and his eyes are perfect, so that is not part of his outbursts. He always has hay or pasture available and is not under any kind of stress (from me, training, environment) so am not sure about the ulcer possibility. To confirm that would be an endoscopic exam I imagine and ($$$$$) so am putting that on a back burner for now. I am keeping him on his MMX because I do believe that has helped him. My question now is that I have been reading up in your book and understand the G.I. comparisons, but I am not sure how that translates to the NSC%. The LMF feed I am looking at is "grain free with a minimum of molasses"........... It would make perfect sense that Sam could be having blood sugar spikes and lows from the way I was feeding. Can you help me understand the difference between the G.I. and NSC% as far as blood sugar extremes? For 5+ years I would have called Sam a "hard-keeper" until the beet pulp and Probiotic/Prebiotic and MMX additions. Now he is on a diet = and we look forward to your next Teleseminar on the "easy-keeper.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO