Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Draft Horse Diet

I'm looking at getting a spotted draft yearling who is 14.3 hands and should grow to just over 17 hands. I'm curious to know how much they should be fed? Do they eat a ton more than traditional sized horses? I've had horses 15 hands and under at full grown, so this draft will be a new experience for me.

Where are you from? Plymouth, MI

How did you locate this forum? Horse Forums

Re: Draft Horse Diet

Hi Katie,

Ah yes... the larger the horse, the more he eats! Horses should be allowed to have grass hay, free-choice. And when they have all they want, and they never run out, they will self-regulate their intake to eat only what their bodies need. That usually equates to 2 to 3.5% of their body weight. So, if your horse grows to weigh, say 1500 lbs, expect him to eat 30 lbs of hay each day, at a bare minimum, and likely closer to 50 lbs each day.

And for growth, you'll also want to include some alfalfa -- about 10 - 15 lbs per day.

Drafts are beautiful animals! Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Katie
I'm looking at getting a spotted draft yearling who is 14.3 hands and should grow to just over 17 hands. I'm curious to know how much they should be fed? Do they eat a ton more than traditional sized horses? I've had horses 15 hands and under at full grown, so this draft will be a new experience for me.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO