Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Salt and the finicky horse

Hi Dr. Getty,

My 800# horse gets barely any concentrated feed (about two handfuls, twice per day). She is underweight (not by as much these days) and I'm working toward remedying the situation with free-choice hay, canola oil (5 oz./day), rice bran (a cup and a half per day) and a daily alfalfa (70%)/timothy (30%) mash of maybe 3-4# (dry weight). (She also gets a LOT of other supplements, mostly natural, but I only included the weight-gain ones.) I had a few questions:

1 - She clearly isn't getting enough salt from her concentrated feed. She will not (!) use a salt lick -- I've tried them all. She sifts powders (and salt granules) to the bottom of her feed trough and won't eat them. Right now, her salt goes in her mash, so it's no problem, but I don't want to have to risk missing a day and impacting her health if she doesn't get her salt (she colicked last time). How the heck do I make sure she gets all the salt she needs? Are there any herbs with salt (other than kelp)? Maybe if I mixed it with some Stevia powder? Any other ideas?

2 - I bought some beet pulp 3 months ago and never quite got around to opening the bag. It's still in perfect shape (kept in a dry garage). Is the beet pulp still good?

3 - Finally, do you have an opinion on aloe vera? She also gets 5 oz. of that daily.

Any ideas, insights and general wonderful wisdom would be much appreciated!

Best regards,
Jackie

Where are you from? Indiana

How did you locate this forum? I'm a big fan of Dr. Getty's book :)

Re: Salt and the finicky horse

Hi Jackie,

Sounds like you're doing a good job! I've answered your questions below each of yours.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jackie
Hi Dr. Getty,

My 800# horse gets barely any concentrated feed (about two handfuls, twice per day). She is underweight (not by as much these days) and I'm working toward remedying the situation with free-choice hay, canola oil (5 oz./day), rice bran (a cup and a half per day) and a daily alfalfa (70%)/timothy (30%) mash of maybe 3-4# (dry weight). (She also gets a LOT of other supplements, mostly natural, but I only included the weight-gain ones.) I had a few questions:

1 - She clearly isn't getting enough salt from her concentrated feed. She will not (!) use a salt lick -- I've tried them all. She sifts powders (and salt granules) to the bottom of her feed trough and won't eat them. Right now, her salt goes in her mash, so it's no problem, but I don't want to have to risk missing a day and impacting her health if she doesn't get her salt (she colicked last time). How the heck do I make sure she gets all the salt she needs? Are there any herbs with salt (other than kelp)? Maybe if I mixed it with some Stevia powder? Any other ideas?

***Putting salt in her meals is the best way and, you indicated that that approach seems to be working. Add 1 tablespoon per meal. And then have a Himalayan salt lick available, just in case she wants more. But, plain, white salt should be included in her meals (non-iodized if she is already getting iodine from other source).

2 - I bought some beet pulp 3 months ago and never quite got around to opening the bag. It's still in perfect shape (kept in a dry garage). Is the beet pulp still good?
***I expect it will be fine. As long as it is dry, 3 months is not a problem. Beet pulp, kept dry, can last over a year.

3 - Finally, do you have an opinion on aloe vera? She also gets 5 oz. of that daily.
***I have had good results using aloe vera for horses that are prone toward ulcers or those that already have ulcers. So if you feel that your horse has any risk of ulcer development, continue to feed it.

Any ideas, insights and general wonderful wisdom would be much appreciated!

Best regards,
Jackie

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Dr. Getty!

Thank you for your reply! I am so, so sorry -- I wasn't clear earlier! Mea culpa.

I love my horse very much and I am more than willing to inconvenience myself substantially for her sake but I feel a bit like I'm being held hostage. I have to go out every day -- EVERY day -- to give her this mash. I've been doing that for months. I canceled my plans with my out-of-state family for Thanksgiving, and later Christmas, when her health needs had to take precedence. I've been out when I've been sick, I can't take a vacation (unless I pay someone else to be my "hostage" for the duration)...you get the idea.

I've tried white salt blocks, mineral blocks, Himalayan blocks, loose salt in a tray, mixing it in with her concentrated feed...nothing. She won't touch it.

I feel like salt + chia + canola oil = what she needs daily to keep everything moving. (That doesn't count hay, water, etc., which I am mostly not responsible for giving.) I'm comfortable weaning her off the canola oil as she gets back to her proper weight and I will eventually be putting her chia seeds into her supplement bag for the barn management to give to her...but I don't know what to do about the salt. The lazy, selfish part of me says to quadruple her concentrate ration (salt included) and call it done, but I really, really don't want to do that.

Help!

Thank you!!
Jackie

Hi Jackie,

It sounds like she is getting enough salt, as long as you mix it into her mash (which is moistened, so it won't sift to the bottom of the tub) -- is that correct?

So, I'm not clear as to your question... other than how to avoid being held hostage every day to mixing her feed so she can get her supplements and salt. If I'm missing something, please let me know, since I don't think I am helping.

I understand the "hostage" part -- I think most horse owners understand this if they are the person solely responsible for their horses' care. You could add the salt to the chia seeds, in a baggy or "tupperware" type container, for the folks at the barn to add. Salt does not need to be added separately -- mix all her supplements together.

Let me know how I can assist you further. And perhaps you can find a fellow horse owner at the barn who is willing to trade off holidays, trips, sick days, etc....

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Jackie
Hi Dr. Getty!

Thank you for your reply! I am so, so sorry -- I wasn't clear earlier! Mea culpa.

I love my horse very much and I am more than willing to inconvenience myself substantially for her sake but I feel a bit like I'm being held hostage. I have to go out every day -- EVERY day -- to give her this mash. I've been doing that for months. I canceled my plans with my out-of-state family for Thanksgiving, and later Christmas, when her health needs had to take precedence. I've been out when I've been sick, I can't take a vacation (unless I pay someone else to be my "hostage" for the duration)...you get the idea.

I've tried white salt blocks, mineral blocks, Himalayan blocks, loose salt in a tray, mixing it in with her concentrated feed...nothing. She won't touch it.

I feel like salt + chia + canola oil = what she needs daily to keep everything moving. (That doesn't count hay, water, etc., which I am mostly not responsible for giving.) I'm comfortable weaning her off the canola oil as she gets back to her proper weight and I will eventually be putting her chia seeds into her supplement bag for the barn management to give to her...but I don't know what to do about the salt. The lazy, selfish part of me says to quadruple her concentrate ration (salt included) and call it done, but I really, really don't want to do that.

Help!

Thank you!!
Jackie

Hi Dr. Getty,

I promised myself about a year ago that I would only go to the barn 6 days per week. My theory was that one day off per week would help preserve my relationship with her. I haven't been keeping that promise to myself and my relationship with her has, in fact, suffered as a result.

The problem is: daily mash = salt eaten. No mash that day = no salt eaten (other than the small amount in a few handfuls of concentrate).

(I do provide a supplement for the barn to give her. All the powders and salt are in the bottom of her grain bin the next day. When I don't scoop it out routinely, she gets quite a pile going.)

So, if I take a day off, I worry that "no salt today" = higher risk of colic today (or tomorrow). How can I get salt into her without a mash? She doesn't eat it any other way.

Thank you for any insight!
Jackie

Hi Jackie,

Sounds like a little bit of water or flavored liquid will solve the problem of the salt and supplements sinking to the bottom. If you could get the caregiver to pour some water into the bucket and mix everything together, your horse would be able to get everything you're feeding her.

If she can tolerate a little sugar, you can use apple juice instead.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Jackie
Hi Dr. Getty,

I promised myself about a year ago that I would only go to the barn 6 days per week. My theory was that one day off per week would help preserve my relationship with her. I haven't been keeping that promise to myself and my relationship with her has, in fact, suffered as a result.

The problem is: daily mash = salt eaten. No mash that day = no salt eaten (other than the small amount in a few handfuls of concentrate).

(I do provide a supplement for the barn to give her. All the powders and salt are in the bottom of her grain bin the next day. When I don't scoop it out routinely, she gets quite a pile going.)

So, if I take a day off, I worry that "no salt today" = higher risk of colic today (or tomorrow). How can I get salt into her without a mash? She doesn't eat it any other way.

Thank you for any insight!
Jackie