Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Am I on the right track

Hello Lesley,

I am sorry it has taken so long to answer you -- I generally take a couple of weeks on this forum. And I hope that your precious fellow is doing better.

Thank you so much for your kind words about my book. I am beyond pleased to know that it has made a difference in his (and your) life.

The Speedy beet is an excellent choice and makes a very good carrier for his supplements. The linseed meal is also good, as long as it is not defatted (has the fat removed) since it is the fat that has the omega 3s in it. And the magnesium is also very important.

I'm not familiar with the supplements you mentioned so you could email me the link and I can look at it.

Do you get my newsletter, Forage for Thought? If not, please sign up on my homepage. This month's tip is on giving psyllium for insulin resistance, so that would be something I would suggest adding. You can read about it on my website, as well -- go to "Tips of the Month." I recommend 1/3 cup per meal, which translates into 80 ml in volume and approximately 75 grams.

I would be happy to do a consultation with you, if you would like to go over his situation in more detail. However, it would need to wait until April, since I am going to be relocating soon. If you would like to set up an appointment, we can certainly do that -- just let me know. I'm pleased to hear that his blood values are improving.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Lesley Bennett
Hello Dr.Getty,
My Gelding is nearly 17,he has had Laminitis off and on all his life.He had a really bad attack last Feb in all four feet.My vet suggested a blood test that proved he was I.R. with insulin at 243m and ACTH at 41pg.He was so poorly.
In my darkest hour some ANGEL recommended your book,I have never known so much information about feeding horses.I have completely changed my feeding with him.Everyone said cut his hay down to lose weight,now I do it your way and give him ad lib hay{soaked for 1 hour then let drain}as much as I can get in a trickly feed net.But am I on the right track with his main meal.
I will happily pay for a consultation if need be,as I really want to do my best for him.I nearly lost him,I just couldnt imagine life without him.
PLEASE ADVISE ME.
Speedy Beet 95% sugar free
Formula 4 feet from Equi Life
Vitex4 Equids
1/4 cup Instant Linseed {just started}
Feenugreek
5 Grams extra Magnessium{some in Formula 4 feet}
Chaff Was on Lucie Stalks by Simple systems but now on Timothy Chop.
He was on 28 Metformin Aa day,he is now off them and his blood test in November was Insulin 11.9 and ACTH 52.7 I am due for another blood test end of Jan.
Thank You so Very Much.
Lesley.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dear Dr. Getty,
Thank you so much,I will email you with the supplements link,as I don`t know if I am over supplementing him. I have sighned up for Forage for Thought,and as I am replying to you,there is a bag of Psyllium by me as I saw this on your website on Friday.
Just one more thing Dr. Getty is there a danger Insulin can become too low.
Lesley.

Where are you from? Shropshire,England

How did you locate this forum? Your Wonderful book

Hello Lesley,

Insulin can be too low, though this condition is rather rare in horses. It generally indicates a situation where the pancreas is unable to produce enough insulin and could be a precursor to Type I diabetes - or insulin dependent diabetes. As I mentioned, we don't generally see this type of diabetes in horses, but it does exist. And insulin injections would be necessary.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Lesley Bennett
Dear Dr. Getty,

Thank you so much,I will email you with the supplements link,as I don`t know if I am over supplementing him. I have sighned up for Forage for Thought,and as I am replying to you,there is a bag of Psyllium by me as I saw this on your website on Friday.

Just one more thing Dr. Getty is there a danger Insulin can become too low.

Lesley.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO