Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Hot-Brained" and NSC%

Hi Cristine,

Ok -- let's crunch the numbers. One pound at 26.6% NSC provides 121 grams of sugars and starch. 3 pounds of the 12.2% NSC provides 166 grams of sugars and starch. So, it looks like it is better to feed less of the higher NSC feed. So, it comes down to whether or not you are feeding 3 lbs of the low NSC feed at a time. If you are, it is better to feed one pound of the higher sugar/starch levels since that will pump less sugar into your horse's bloodstream at a time. But, if you divide the 3 lbs into at least two meals per day, it is better to go with the lower NSC feed.

Thank you for your kind words about the teleseminar. I have one coming up on the Easy Keeper -- http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/teleseminars/registration.htm.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Cristine Cameron
Dr.G, Thank you for helping me understand NSCs and GIs. I did call LMF vets and their Gentle Balance (grain and sugar free feed) has a NSC% of 12.2. Their Supper-Supplement (grass formula) has an NSC% of 26.6. The feeding rates are ONE (and yes, I weigh my scoops) pound per 1000 pound horse of Super Supp. VS 3-8 pounds-depending on calorie requirements-per horse of Gentle Balance. So, at 3 pounds per day Sam will have much less GI numbers, yes? I am very gradually switching both boys off the higher 'sugar' feed to the GB. I most certainly will let you know how this affects Sam's behavior. Yes, his vision is not a factor (whew) and he has a buddy that he adores and vice-versa. Simon is my 30 year old that I have helped via your Tele-Seminars so much. Jackie's question is valid because I only see Sam's panic when interacting with people and never when out in the pasture with Simon. That is where the "Leader" deal comes into play for me; less kissing and more "leader-ing" on my part I think. I am optimistic about the NSC% factor in Sam's nutrition program. It only makes sense as I try and try to FEED MY HORSE LIKE A HORSE

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO