Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
calcium and oats

A senior horse at our barn (25 years old) has become intolerant of processed feeds, and seems to be able to digest and process oats best. I've heard oats deplete calcium in the body. Is this true? Taking into account all possible sources of calcium in the horse's diet, how much calcium should a horse receive per day, and is there a calcium supplement you recommend?

Where are you from? New Hampshire

How did you locate this forum? website

Re: calcium and oats

Hello Susan,

No, I do not see any concern about calcium being lost by feeding oats. My concern, especially for an older horse, is too much starch. As horses age, they become more likely to develop equine Cushing's disease and a low starch diet is best.

Have you ever considered soaked beet pulp? Or perhaps moistened alfalfa pellets? Horses generally enjoy these and they make excellent carriers for supplements. You'll want to include a comprehensive vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in the gaps. High Point plus Nutra Flax is a good option.

As far as calcium is concerned, hay (grass hay and especially alfalfa) is very high in calcium and fulfills all your horse's needs. I do not recommend adding a supplement.

Finally, if your horse is getting plenty of healthy, fresh grass, you won't need to add vitamin C to the diet. But hay diets have no vitamin C, and horses at that age are no longer able to produce adequate amounts. Vitamin C is necessary for proper immune function as well as producing collagen (the protein found in joints, bones, and blood vessels). C-442 is a nice buffered supplement.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Susan
A senior horse at our barn (25 years old) has become intolerant of processed feeds, and seems to be able to digest and process oats best. I've heard oats deplete calcium in the body. Is this true? Taking into account all possible sources of calcium in the horse's diet, how much calcium should a horse receive per day, and is there a calcium supplement you recommend?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you very much, Dr. Getty!

Best,
Susan

Where are you from? New Hampshire

How did you locate this forum? website

Hi Susan,

I'm glad to help.

All the best,

Dr. Getty