Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Psyllium or Quiessence

What are the pros and cons of Quiessence versus psyllium for use with the easy keeper? Why would I use one as opposed to the other? I know they are totally different products. My gelding eats from small mesh hay nets (24/7 hay) and uses a grazing muzzle in the summer. He is fed Glanzen Lite Complete, salt, and Quiessence right now. Hard to tell under the winter coat, but I think his weight is good at the moment. He is naturally fairly calm, so I don't feed Quiessence for attitude at all. I am looking for the best product to ensure he stays trim and keeps the insulin under control.

Where are you from? Minnesota

Re: Psyllium or Quiessence

Hi Kim,

Yes, they are both very different products and if I had to choose one over the other, I would stick with what you're doing and offer Quiessence because magnesium and chromium are very important in managing insulin resistance.

Psyllium husks on the other hand, reduce the amount of glucose that is actually absorbed into the bloodstream, thereby reducing insulin output. So, adding psyllium to the diet each day offers an extra amount of insurance, especially for difficult cases.

Sounds like you're doing fine. I would caution you about using a grazing muzzle for too many hours at a time because this can be mentally stressful and physically uncomfortable (since your horse may not be able to chew enough to neutralize the steady flow of stomach acid) -- both stressors lead to elevated insulin levels. When insulin is high, the body stores fat. And the risk of laminitis is also increased.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Kim
What are the pros and cons of Quiessence versus psyllium for use with the easy keeper? Why would I use one as opposed to the other? I know they are totally different products. My gelding eats from small mesh hay nets (24/7 hay) and uses a grazing muzzle in the summer. He is fed Glanzen Lite Complete, salt, and Quiessence right now. Hard to tell under the winter coat, but I think his weight is good at the moment. He is naturally fairly calm, so I don't feed Quiessence for attitude at all. I am looking for the best product to ensure he stays trim and keeps the insulin under control.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO