Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
metamucil vs. psyllium

Can one give metamucil to horses? Since it has psyllium and used for similar purposes in humans I wondered if it was effective and safe for horses. Thanks for any input.

Where are you from? South Carolina

How did you locate this forum? came to me via email

Re: metamucil vs. psyllium

Hello Diana,

I know that Metamucil contains psyllium husks, so you could give it to horses, if it is just pure psyllium husks. But if it contains other items, such as sugar, you would be defeating your purpose in reducing blood glucose levels by adding sugar along with psyllium. So read the label carefully.

Plus, you would need to give 1/3 cup per meal for the insulin resistant horse, for example. I would think that would be very expensive. A product made for horses, such as SuPer Psyllium pellets might be a more economical choice.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Diana Hunt
Can one give metamucil to horses? Since it has psyllium and used for similar purposes in humans I wondered if it was effective and safe for horses. Thanks for any input.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO