Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 4yo THB gelding ribby

Hello Jennifer,

Thank you for writing and I appreciate your patience. First, please allow me to recommend signing up for my upcoming teleseminar called, "The Hard Keeper can be Helped" scheduled for Thursday, March 15th. You don't actually have to attend if the date and time are not convenient, but you can have your questions answered, as well as listen to the recording any time you wish. To register and for more details, go to http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/teleseminars/registration.htm"

Regarding how much to feed -- you want to limit each meal size to no more than 4 lbs per meal, because of the horse's relatively small stomach size in relation to the rest of his digestive tract.

It's a pity that the owner of the overweight mare doesn't understand that weight loss is helped by free-choice grass feeding of a low NSC (non-structural carbohydrate) hay. Hours with an empty stomach keeps overweight horses fat simply because of the hormonal response that results.

But, getting back to your fellow -- be sure to provide some alfalfa -- that is not only higher in calories but will give him the amino acid building blocks to help him gain weight. Rice bran is also good, and then I would give him flaxseed meal to provide additional fat in the form of omega 3 fatty acids. Nutra Flax is worth considering.

In addition to this, pay attention to the hindgut -- the microbes that live there are responsible for deriving calories from the fiber in his diet. So, feed them, too. A good approach is Ration Plus but if a liquid is difficult to manage, then go with SynBiotic EQ instead.

See how these work out for you and if you find that you could benefit from a personal phone visit, then I'll be happy to spend time with you going over every detail to customize a plan that will help your horse put on some weight and be healthier, in general.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jennifer White
I have a 4yo OTTHB gelding 17 hands and is what I would call "ribby," I feel like he needs to put on 2-300lbs. The problem I have is that he is underweight, growing and a cribber. He is currently on 10lbs of feed a day(5lb am and 5lb pm) of a 12-8 pellet, and 1 lb ricebran soaked in the pm.
I know weight gain needs to be gradual but I need help with a feeding program to put weight on him while keeping up with his growth spurts. I can only feed 2x a day.
He is out on good pasture 24-7 which curbs the desire to crib and that has also helped. I am considering adding alfalfa pellets, my concern is what amounts of the 12-8 feed, rice bran and alfalfa pellets to give daily without overloading his system and causing problems.
I cannot give free choice hay as he is out with an overweight QH mare. He was stalled with free choice hay/alfalfa but the cribbing was so bad I felt it was countering the free choice hay, and destroying my stalls.
Would love any advice how to get weight on this guy, Thanks!

This is the feed tag for the 12-8 pelet
(note: the overweight mare is on a different feed)
12-8 Pellet

For Maintenance of Mature Horses

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein…………………..….Min. 12.00%

Lysine ………………………………..Min 0.3%

Crude Fat…………………………..…Min. 8.0%

Crude Fiber………………………….. Max. 16%

Calcium………….……. Min. 0.85% Max. 1.0%

Phosphorus P……………………….. Min. .50%

Potassium (K)……………………… Min 0.75%

Salt……………………… Min 0.2% Max 0.7%

Copper (CU)………………………. Min. 10 ppm