Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NSC vs calories

Hi Cristine,

Wonderful -- I am delighted to hear that the Easy Keeper teleseminar was helpful. We had a very large group and, just to let my readers know... it is always available for listening or download.

Yes, an excellent, lower calorie choice would be hay cubes -- broken up into small pieces along with some added water -- this should slow down their eating. Alfalfa cubes are also good, but higher in calories (however, I do like to add some alfalfa just to boost overall protein quality).

Keep up the good work and enjoy!

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Cristine Cameron
GREAT, GREAT, GREAT teleseminar on the EZ Keeper !!! I learned so much!! My question is this, and I know you are in the middle of a move, no rush, but because I live for my evenings in the barn with the boys, I am searching for a "dinner" choice that buys me time. I so love my time when they are both quietly eating, the dogs are cleaning up the floor beneath them, and I groom them and do a daily "once-over" and clean feet etc.etc. SO....... if they get everything they need as to vit/min with 1/2 pound (at 26.6% NSC-per lb?)plus Sam's additional MMX, what is best to give them to eat for a while?? I was giving soaked beet pulp, but they have both gained some weight. Would it be okay to soak alfalfa cubes or timothy cubes or orchard grass cubes to feed with the vit/min pellets? That takes them a long time and they love it. I love it! If so, which is best? And there is a mixed alfalfa/timothy cube. Spring grass is coming and I am reading your book at night to put me to sleep...so to speak . Wanna do this right. I am so thankful for the day I discovered you and your book!!!!!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO