Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Alarming increase in intake with Free Choice Feeding

Jody
I know this question comes up frequently, but I started feeding my horses free choice grass hay one week ago and their intake has more than doubled. I weigh my hay and they are increasing their comsumption by 7-10% every single day. When do I become alarmed? The first day they consumed 2% of their body weight in 24 hours, the second day they comsumed 2.5% and one week later they are consuming just under 4% of their body weight. With the IR concerns, I am rather alarmed.

I test my hay and the hay is less than 7% NSC. I have never at any point in the week even come close to running out of hay. I have fed from small hole hay nets for over a year and the free choice hay continues to be offered in small hole hay nets.

One of the IR horses is so bloated from overeating that she looks like a planet. Will they really, truly start to decrease their intake? Are there health concerns if it takes a month at this intake level?
Hi Jody I am also waiting for Dr Getty to reply to this as I have given my horse free choice hay for the last two months and although he is much more relaxed his insulin has gone up and his weight has increased,I just dont know what to do any more.

Where are you from? England

How did you locate this forum? I have the book

Hello Jody and Leslie,

Thank you for writing and I understand the frustration you are experiencing. It is difficult to watch a horse over eat and can be frightening. Let me first tell you that I have never had any negative consequences (other than temporary weight gain) with free-choice feeding when it is done properly.

So let's look at this in more detail...

First, one week is very little time for many horses. I can tell you that most horses start to self-regulate within a couple of weeks, but it truly depends on the individual. What you're waiting for is for the horse to walk away from the hay -- that tells you that he got the message. And then he can start to eat only what his body needs.

But, there's more to it. What we're trying to create is an environment that simulates the horse in his natural state. Where is walks around looking for forage and moves a lot while doing so. If the horse has been in a setting of reduced feeding, with long periods of an empty stomach, the metabolic rate will decrease significantly, leading to rapid weight gain once forage is provided free choice.

So the answer is not to stop doing it. The answer is to continue offering hay free choice, while encouraging movement and slow feeding. Slow feeders are fine, as long as they do not induce frustration so take your time in getting the horse accustomed to them. If they are frustrating, the hormonal response that frustration creates, will lead to body fat storage. Once accustomed to them, you can place them in a variety of places, encouraging movement to get to them.

Hay analysis is also important and you mentioned, Jody, that your have tested at a low %NSC. Also check the digestible energy -- this is the number of Mcal (calories) and should not exceed .89 Mcal/lb (1.95 Mcal/kg or 8.19 MJ/kg).

The remainder of the diet, if you add anything, should be minimal and be low in calories and sugar/starch. No cereal grains, no sugar, no sugary treats (such as apples or carrots).

And exercise -- probably the most important factor of all. Exercise not only burns calories, but also increases muscle mass. Muscle mass is more metabolically active than fat, so your horse burns more calories just by standing still. And exercise also reduces insulin resistance.

Supplements such as psyllium husks and magnesium/chromium are also important in lowering circulating insulin levels.

So, bottom line...

• Exercise

• low calories

• reduced stress

• unlimited opportunities to graze

• allowed to move and not stand in one place for hours

• Patience

I have seen horses change -- hundreds of times over the years -- horses that are overweight and at risk of laminitis, colic, arthritis, cushing's -- become healthy when enough patience is provided to allow them to self-regulate their intake and tell the horse owner how much forage is needed.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jody
I know this question comes up frequently, but I started feeding my horses free choice grass hay one week ago and their intake has more than doubled. I weigh my hay and they are increasing their comsumption by 7-10% every single day. When do I become alarmed? The first day they consumed 2% of their body weight in 24 hours, the second day they comsumed 2.5% and one week later they are consuming just under 4% of their body weight. With the IR concerns, I am rather alarmed.

I test my hay and the hay is less than 7% NSC. I have never at any point in the week even come close to running out of hay. I have fed from small hole hay nets for over a year and the free choice hay continues to be offered in small hole hay nets.

One of the IR horses is so bloated from overeating that she looks like a planet. Will they really, truly start to decrease their intake? Are there health concerns if it takes a month at this intake level?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you for your response Dr. Getty.

The only thing that I can identify from your recommendations that we are not in compliance with is that the DE on the hay is 1.15Mcal/lb. If there is absolutely no chance to replace the hay with anything less calorically dense, what can we do? We have enough of this hay to last until first cutting in July and my husband has just lost his job so I can not afford to replace it.

More details: The hay nets don't seem to bother the horses. They have become used to them over time and don't get agitated when getting hay out. I put out about 8 bags for 4 horses and I spread them all over their dry lot paddock which is about the size of two standard size arenas. I also feed a very small amount of soaked, rinsed beet pulp with minerals to balance the hay analysis. I custom mix the minerals but they get plenty of magnesium, vitamin E and fresh ground flax. They do not get any grain or other concentrates. I believe the kids slip a few Forage First horse cookies but that only amounts to about 2 a week. All the horses get out for moderate exercise about twice a week.

I re-weighed the horses and the most surprising thing was that in-spite of the enormous intake (still at just under 4% of their body weight today) the ONLY horse that has gained any weight is the severely IR gelding who has only gained 18#. All the other horses have stayed at exactly their baseline weight.

So I guess the bottom line is that I obviously have a DE issue. I am just not sure how to proceed in that knowledge.

Where are you from? Colorado

How did you locate this forum? Bought the book

Hi Jody,

That is excellent news about their weight! And only 18 lbs of weight gain for one of your horses is not of major significance. So in spite of the higher calorie hay, and the increased consumption, they are keeping tabs on their weight. This is what I mean -- when they self-regulate and the stress component is gone, they no longer hold on to body fat. When stressed by an empty stomach, the cortisol that is released actually prevents them from burning body fat.

And an added bonus -- eating actually stimulates the metabolic rate, making them burn their calories faster than before!

So, from what you told me, I am not terribly concerned about the higher digestible energy level. There is not much you can do about it, unless you can "dilute" it with another lower calorie hay.

If at all possible, when the hay becomes available in July, see if you can test it ahead of time. That way, you won't end up buying a large batch that may not be appropriate for your horses.

You are doing an excellent job. I am very proud of your patience and perseverance -- it does pay off.

Best to you,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jody
Thank you for your response Dr. Getty.

The only thing that I can identify from your recommendations that we are not in compliance with is that the DE on the hay is 1.15Mcal/lb. If there is absolutely no chance to replace the hay with anything less calorically dense, what can we do? We have enough of this hay to last until first cutting in July and my husband has just lost his job so I can not afford to replace it.

More details: The hay nets don't seem to bother the horses. They have become used to them over time and don't get agitated when getting hay out. I put out about 8 bags for 4 horses and I spread them all over their dry lot paddock which is about the size of two standard size arenas. I also feed a very small amount of soaked, rinsed beet pulp with minerals to balance the hay analysis. I custom mix the minerals but they get plenty of magnesium, vitamin E and fresh ground flax. They do not get any grain or other concentrates. I believe the kids slip a few Forage First horse cookies but that only amounts to about 2 a week. All the horses get out for moderate exercise about twice a week.

I re-weighed the horses and the most surprising thing was that in-spite of the enormous intake (still at just under 4% of their body weight today) the ONLY horse that has gained any weight is the severely IR gelding who has only gained 18#. All the other horses have stayed at exactly their baseline weight.

So I guess the bottom line is that I obviously have a DE issue. I am just not sure how to proceed in that knowledge.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO