Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Symptoms of Selenium Deficiency

Hello Steve,

Without seeing her blood work and doing a full analysis of her condition, it is very difficult to know what is wrong with her. But, I can tell you that a diet made of just hay is deficient in many nutrients, particularly vitamins E, C, D, beta carotene (vitamin A) and omega 3 fatty acids. So be sure you are feeding these to her. If you are feeding a commercially fortified feed, you must feed it according to the recommended amounts in order for her to get all the vitamins on the label.

But even if you are feeding the fully recommended amount, I would give her additional antioxidants -- take a look at Pre Ox. This will give you an idea of the type of supplement I have in mind. It will fill in all the gaps of hay and give her body a chance to overcome the "general malaise" that she appears to be experiencing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Steve
Hi Dr Getty,

Our horse has had blood tested. We have evaluated diet. She had small amounts of selenium in both the pelets and feed 'easy result feed'. We then had a vet give her selenium doses and we took her off feeds and put her on hay. So hay analysis would be a good idea.

She is weak has difficulty moving, but no respirotary problems.

She has had worm levels tested.

It is very frustrating because it seems the only sure way to know what is wrong with her is a post-mortem.

Steve

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dear DR. Getty,

Thank you for your reply.

We had a Chiropractor out in the last week. He noted by feeling the jaw that the young filly had a fall about two and a half months ago, which resluted in a dislocated jaw without swelling and very hard to detect. As a result eating has been painful. In adition, her teeth have been ground down unevenly.

So we will have the teeth done.

It seems now we might be out of the woods. Thank you for your advice.

Stephen

Where are you from? Armidale

How did you locate this forum? Internet

Hello Steve,

Well that makes perfect sense! I hope things have improved since the time you discovered the jaw issue.

Best wishes,

Dr. Getty

Steve
Dear DR. Getty,

Thank you for your reply.

We had a Chiropractor out in the last week. He noted by feeling the jaw that the young filly had a fall about two and a half months ago, which resluted in a dislocated jaw without swelling and very hard to detect. As a result eating has been painful. In adition, her teeth have been ground down unevenly.

So we will have the teeth done.

It seems now we might be out of the woods. Thank you for your advice.

Stephen

Where are you from? Waverly, OH