Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: LaminaSaver supplement

My experience with Restaurex started out good (so I thought) but has ended up Thumbs DOWN.

It's long story but the short version is my 17 yo gelding with insulin resistance was on Restaurex nearly four weeks. I took him off Restaurex 48 hours ago and this morning he went out the gate moving a whole lot more fluid than he has all month.

He still is not feeling well and I can see blood tests coming but he's better than he was 48 hours ago.

Sadly, my vet recommended Restaurex as he has seen good results in other horses "like mine", with IR and ouchy spring hooves (spring came way early this year:(

I would not have bought this stuff, otherwise.

So I am back to my original thinking which is NOT to use a product that doesn't list the ingredients.

I will stick to those from companies I have used for years and/or who also carry the NASC sticker on all of their labels.

Hope this helps:)

Where are you from? Tennessee U.S.A.

How did you locate this forum? Google

Hi Judy also in TN! Thanks for responding as to your experience. I am not seeing improvement in my draft so far :( and it is a very expensive supplement! This horse is 23, with life long issues with laminitis. At 2,200 lbs, his size doesn't help matters with cost effective dosing either! He did not respond to Balance EQ or Laminex, so the LaminaSaver was my next choice.

Where are you from? TN

How did you locate this forum? Ongoing

Hello Cindy and Judy,

Thank you, Judy, for your experience with LaminaSaver. Laminex is made by Med Vet Pharmaceuticals and they are members of the NASC (National Animal Supplement Council).

I'm sorry Laminex was not helpful for you, Cindy. A more basic way to go would be to test your hay (low starch/low sugar), feed free choice (reduce stress, which reduces circulating insulin), and feed Glanzen Lite Complete -- high in antioxidants, along with omega 3s. In addition, provide magnesium from Quiessence. Magnesium further reduces circulating insulin levels. And with Quiessence, you can give more magnesium than Laminex provides.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Cindy Daigre
Hi Judy also in TN! Thanks for responding as to your experience. I am not seeing improvement in my draft so far and it is a very expensive supplement! This horse is 23, with life long issues with laminitis. At 2,200 lbs, his size doesn't help matters with cost effective dosing either! He did not respond to Balance EQ or Laminex, so the LaminaSaver was my next choice.

Where are you from? Waverly, OH