Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Kissing Spine and Cribbing

Hello Dr. Getty. I have an eleven year old appendix Quarter Horse. He is a cribber (sucking wind) who has worn down his front teeth quite a bit. He also has Kissing Spine on his back. Is there a supplement I could be using that would help him with one or both of these issues? Actually he does not seem to be suffering from either but I am wondering if there is something I could be feeding him now that would help for the future. He's on two feedings of hay and one of pellets per day. Thank you for your assistance. P.S. If you're ever out my way I'd love for you to meet Tobi and me !

Where are you from? Scottsdale, AZ

How did you locate this forum? I found this site by searching for help with nutrition

Re: Kissing Spine and Cribbing

Hello Anna,

The best way to alleviate and even stop cribbing is to offer hay and/or pasture, free choice -- 24/7 -- never runs out. Horses that crib usually have ulcers and need to be able to graze all of the time to produce saliva, a natural antacid. His stomach secretes acid constantly, even when empty and I guarantee that he is in pain when he has an empty stomach. Give him all he wants and once he realizes that he will never run out of hay, he will start to walk away from it -- self-regulate his intake. I've seen this thousands of times.

About the inflammation in his back -- I would make sure that his omega 3 fatty acid level is adequate. You can give him Nutra Flax or if he is experiencing a great deal of pain from inflammation, reduce it further by giving him a combination of omega 3s from flax (alpha linolenic acid) plus from from fish oils (DHA and EPA) with a product called Omega-3-F.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Anna Ingram
Hello Dr. Getty. I have an eleven year old appendix Quarter Horse. He is a cribber (sucking wind) who has worn down his front teeth quite a bit. He also has Kissing Spine on his back. Is there a supplement I could be using that would help him with one or both of these issues? Actually he does not seem to be suffering from either but I am wondering if there is something I could be feeding him now that would help for the future. He's on two feedings of hay and one of pellets per day. Thank you for your assistance. P.S. If you're ever out my way I'd love for you to meet Tobi and me !

Where are you from? Waverly, OH