Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Firming Up Manure

Hello Cindy,

BioSponge seems to be helpful in cases of diarrhea that are due to a bacterial infestation by binding endotoxins. You can certainly give it a try.

If ulcers are the issue, there is a lot of fluid entering the gastrointestinal tract due to inflammation in the intestinal lining. Have you tried Amiquell? This preparation is designed to help the digestive tract heal.

Also, I highly recommend adding vitamin B1 (thiamin) to the diet in high doses. When the intestines are inflamed, they are not able to absorb enough B vitamins (in particular B1) and this can affect the consistency of the manure. Go with 2,000 mg per day and let me know if this has a beneficial effect. There is no harm in giving this much -- it is water soluble and whatever he doesn't use will end up in the urine.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Cindy Daigre
Hi, I care for a 31 y/o mare that has very loose stools--like cow patties. I have tried numerous products with no success, to include Kauffman's Gold from your store, Ration Plus and Psyllium. I was told Bio-Sponge would be a good option. She has chronic ulcers, and I think the stool issue stems from that. She can no longer eat hay, but does eat soaked alfalfa cubes, Triple Crown Senior and grazes every day. Have you had any experience with the Bio Sponge? Thanks so much!

Where are you from? Waverly, OH

Thank you Dr. Getty. My vet examined a fecal sample and found no parasites nor any bacteria that would indicate an issue, which was helpful to know. I have been giving her 1,000 mg of B1 for a couple of months now. We are now looking to start her on Succeed to see if that helps with both the ulcer and manure issue. I can also increase the B1 daily.
Thanks much!

Where are you from? TN

How did you locate this forum? Ongoing

Hi Cindy,

Please keep me posted on how things are going with Succeed. Yes, you can increase the B1 to 2500 mg/day.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Cindy Daigre
Thank you Dr. Getty. My vet examined a fecal sample and found no parasites nor any bacteria that would indicate an issue, which was helpful to know. I have been giving her 1,000 mg of B1 for a couple of months now. We are now looking to start her on Succeed to see if that helps with both the ulcer and manure issue. I can also increase the B1 daily.
Thanks much!

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio