Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: pony

Okay. I understand the reasoning behind FREE Choice, but I just keep hearing 'ponies are different', "ponies have to be fed different from horses", etc.etc. so I just wanted to make sure. He (and the other 2) have hay in front of them at all times. Seems I waste quite a bit on the days they don't eat it but rather just play in it, but I do get the theory. And often I see all of them just napping in the sun with hay just a few feet away, so they do "walk away". Thank you much.

Where are you from? Sedro-Woolley, WA

How did you locate this forum? newsletter

Re: pony

Hi Cristine,

You're correct -- ponies are different -- they need less fat in their diet and they all tend to be insulin resistant. The free choice, concept, however, is the same, as long as the hay you're feeding is low in %NSC (less than 12% and preferably lower than that) and also low in calories -- no more than .89 Mcals/lb.

How 'bout using a slow feeder -- several of them, scattered about, will help him to eat less while moving around to get to it.

And exercise is so important -- even 10 minutes a day of walking.

You're doing a wonderful job!

Best wishes,

Dr. Getty

Cristine
Okay. I understand the reasoning behind FREE Choice, but I just keep hearing 'ponies are different', "ponies have to be fed different from horses", etc.etc. so I just wanted to make sure. He (and the other 2) have hay in front of them at all times. Seems I waste quite a bit on the days they don't eat it but rather just play in it, but I do get the theory. And often I see all of them just napping in the sun with hay just a few feet away, so they do "walk away". Thank you much.

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio