Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: supplement advise

Hello Kim,

Thank you for writing and I am delighted to know that my website is helpful.

The products on my website are ones that I find beneficial, but there are others that I do not have on my website that are also worthwhile. The HEIRO product you mentioned is an herbal preparation that many horseowners find helpful and is certainly worth trying. But I would also add magnesium to it since it doesn't contain very much. For the insulin resistant horse, I recommend 5,000 mg of magnesium per 250 lbs of body weight, balanced with calcium. One ounce of HEIRO only has 180 mg. And there is also no chromium, which I find to be an important component. So you would feed Quiessence along with it to bring in these two important minerals.

About the psyllium -- Sand Trap by Horsetech is an excellent product. I do find that many horses prefer a pelleted version, which is why I do not currently have it on my website. But I do like the added probiotics.

I do not know of a psyllium product made by Omega Fields. I am familiar with their flaxseed -- Omega Horseshine -- which I generally do not recommend because it has added oats.

I do not know of an all-in-one product that you describe. Most horse owners do not use psyllium on a daily basis, but only one week out of the month to help prevent sand colic. I recommend adding a small amount to each meal to help lessen glucose absorption in a diet that is already low in sugar and starch.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Kim King
I have been utilizing your website to educate myself on better nutrition to provide my horses with the best care possible. I noticed some of the supplements that I am using are not endorsed in your store. I was wondering what your thoughts are on Heiro from Equine Medical & Surgical Associates. My horses are very easy keepers on fescue pasture, timothy hay, no grain, & ample exercise. I use grazing muzzles spring & fall & have started Heiro as a further preventative for weight control & insulin levels. Another concern is sand colic where I am using psyllium daily. Here I have tried Horseshine & sandtrap by horsetech. I am searching for a product that encompasses Psyllium, omegas, flax, vitamins & minerals. If you know of a one stop product I would love a recommendation. Thank you for your website helping us care for our horses in an educated manner!
Kim

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio