Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding young minis

I'm getting 2 young mini mares. A 2 year old and a 3 year old. The 2 year old is at a good weight and the 3 year old is fat. Will have free choice hay, water and salt available, and they will live in a dry lot. No pasture. As young minis, what else do they need?

Re: Feeding young minis

Hello Arina,

Congratulations and I know you will enjoy them.

First, have your hay tested to make sure it is safe to feed free choice. I recommend sending a sample to Equi-Analytical Labes to test for WSC (water soluble carbohydrates) and Starch. Add these two numbers together to calculate NSC (non-structural carbohydrates) to make sure that it doesn't exceed 12%. The digestible energy (calories) shouldn't exceed .88 MCals/lb.

Since hay has very few vitamins left, you'll want to provide a vitamin/mineral supplement. D Carb Balance is a good choice. You may need to add it to some type of carrier (though it is pelleted and perhaps your horses will eat it out of your hand). A low starch carrier could be moistened timothy/alfalfa pellets or unsweetened beet pulp or soybean hulls.

Enjoy!

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

arina
I'm getting 2 young mini mares. A 2 year old and a 3 year old. The 2 year old is at a good weight and the 3 year old is fat. Will have free choice hay, water and salt available, and they will live in a dry lot. No pasture. As young minis, what else do they need?

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio