Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
4 year old cob with loose droppings all year round .

Hi i was wondering if you can advise me one what to feed my 4 year old cob . ive had him nearly 2 years and hes sufferd loose droppings all the time . hes turned out day and night all year round on good meadow grass nothing out with him that he shouldnt be eating , hes had a worm count done thats come back clear , in the winter hes given a hard feed every night of barley rings and pasture mix , and our own meadow hay twice a day ,
his loose droppings are worse though the winter months and spring i guess due to the hard feed and rich grass ,
any change in his diet and that encludes the change in grass as he has two fields will upset his tummy , as hes now 4 ive started working him not under saddle yet as i feel we need to sort out his problem before as i feel he may have IBS , gluten intollerance .
his weight is good hes very healthy looking nice shiny coat and a happy lad , but he must have a bloated crampy tummy as result of the runny poo he has , winter before last he was fed some sugar beat with in a week on this his poo went liquid and dark like the beet was coming straight though him this was when i started to first notice his problem as i hadnt had him long so i stopped feeding that and after a couple weeks it was a bit better but hes only every done cow pats never propper hard droppings like my old boy , i long for him to get this sorted out i want him happy inside as well as out side . i want to get him to shows and not worry about the splats that really dont go down well with others there , hes very windy and when taken out it will become projectile poo though his tail and on who ever is behind him ... poor lad , hes never left with no food hes able to graze 24-7 if hes having a groom or being traveled his tucking into a haynet , hes a pig and likes his food .. he dosnt get treats , just the odd carrot .
i would be greatfull for any advice ... ive orderd some pink powder for him but the firend that recomended i ask you about his problem was also saying about aloe vera ?
theres so much i want to do with him but untill his good in his tummy i cant as he must get bloated and crampy as we do .. many thanks kindest regards emma
ps sorry for all my spellings

Where are you from? cambridgeshire uk

How did you locate this forum? vire a firend

Re: 4 year old cob with loose droppings all year round .

Hello Emma,

I have several suggestions for you. First, if you haven't already done so, have his manure tested for a bacterial infection such as salmonella or clostridium.

A probiotic is essential -- Pink powder does not appear to be a good choice, however. It contains cereal grains wheat and corn (maize) and it also contains mineral oil (which binds with B vitamins and pulls them out with the manure). Find a potent probiotic/prebiotic that has billions of CFUs (colony forming units) of live microbes as well as yeast (saccharomyces cerevisiae). If you have a product that you'd like me to look at, send the website link to me.

Aloe is a good idea, along side a probiotic. Give 60 ml (2 ounces) per meal. This will help just in case he has an ulcer.

Finally, give him vitamin B1 (thiamine) -- 1,000 mg per day divided between meals.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Emma
Hi i was wondering if you can advise me one what to feed my 4 year old cob . ive had him nearly 2 years and hes sufferd loose droppings all the time . hes turned out day and night all year round on good meadow grass nothing out with him that he shouldnt be eating , hes had a worm count done thats come back clear , in the winter hes given a hard feed every night of barley rings and pasture mix , and our own meadow hay twice a day ,
his loose droppings are worse though the winter months and spring i guess due to the hard feed and rich grass ,
any change in his diet and that encludes the change in grass as he has two fields will upset his tummy , as hes now 4 ive started working him not under saddle yet as i feel we need to sort out his problem before as i feel he may have IBS , gluten intollerance .
his weight is good hes very healthy looking nice shiny coat and a happy lad , but he must have a bloated crampy tummy as result of the runny poo he has , winter before last he was fed some sugar beat with in a week on this his poo went liquid and dark like the beet was coming straight though him this was when i started to first notice his problem as i hadnt had him long so i stopped feeding that and after a couple weeks it was a bit better but hes only every done cow pats never propper hard droppings like my old boy , i long for him to get this sorted out i want him happy inside as well as out side . i want to get him to shows and not worry about the splats that really dont go down well with others there , hes very windy and when taken out it will become projectile poo though his tail and on who ever is behind him ... poor lad , hes never left with no food hes able to graze 24-7 if hes having a groom or being traveled his tucking into a haynet , hes a pig and likes his food .. he dosnt get treats , just the odd carrot .
i would be greatfull for any advice ... ive orderd some pink powder for him but the firend that recomended i ask you about his problem was also saying about aloe vera ?
theres so much i want to do with him but untill his good in his tummy i cant as he must get bloated and crampy as we do .. many thanks kindest regards emma
ps sorry for all my spellings

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio

Thank you Dr getty ,
would a human product be safe to feed him if so how much should i give him ? hes a very chunky 14.1 cob :o)
is this any good ? http://www.healthspan.co.uk/campaigns/product/super20-probiotic/?referrer=GOOGLEPPC&gclid=CNzDrbbc57ACFYcPfAodEGpteQ
thanks so much for your reply i really want to get this sorted now . and yes ill get his dropping tested ill ring my vets and ask them what they can do for that thank you .

Hello Emma,

This product is fine at a double dose.

In addition, add Yea-Sacc: http://www.dodsonandhorrell.com/our-feeds/herbs-supplements/digest/yea-sacc.html

Dr. Getty

Emma
Thank you Dr getty ,
would a human product be safe to feed him if so how much should i give him ? hes a very chunky 14.1 cob )
is this any good ? http://www.healthspan.co.uk/campaigns/product/super20-probiotic/?referrer=GOOGLEPPC&gclid=CNzDrbbc57ACFYcPfAodEGpteQ
thanks so much for your reply i really want to get this sorted now . and yes ill get his dropping tested ill ring my vets and ask them what they can do for that thank you .

Thank you , youve been a gt help .. ill let you know how hes going once hes been on them a while :o)

Hello Emma,

Yes, please do keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Emma
Thank you , youve been a gt help .. ill let you know how hes going once hes been on them a while )