Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Equi-Bone Supplement from TLC Animal Nutrition

Hello Kennedy,

I hope things are improving for your horse. I have had good results with making every effort to reduce inflammation. This can be done by giving flaxseed meal (I prefer Nutra Flax) plus a good joint preparation. You may already be feeding a joint supplement but if not, go with Actiflex Senior. I have had excellent results with this and even though he is not a senior, the additional fat is appropriate for his exercise level.

In addition, there are two other items to include:

1) Bioavailable Silica - OrthoPur Si. Silica is part of joint and bone tissue and is an excellent addition to his regimen.

2)Curcumin. I believe Uckele products carries it -- this is an herbal anti-inflammatory agent.

I hope these suggestions are helpful. You can also try the Equi-Bone that folks are discussing. Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

kennedy jenkins
my 8 year old paint gelding had lameness in his front feet so i had xrays done and we found a navicular bone spur...my vet (my boss as well) said he will have to be retired september 2012 from showing. i dont want to give up yet. we are going to wedges on his shoes with anitimmflamatory meds, then if that doesnt work we are going to inject his coffin joints and hope that will make him last for the rest of the show season in august. in the fall we plan to nerve him but i want to know if there is a supplement or something that could dissolve the spur and keep others from forming...help me please!

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio

Re: Equi-Bone Supplement from TLC Animal Nutrition

Hi Michele and Lisa,

I took a close look at the Equi-bone website and could not find where the exact ingredients are listed -- so this makes it very difficult (if not impossible) for me to evaluate. It's also interesting that they discuss the need for feeding a diet that will keep the gut alkali and yet, they recommend oats, which make the gut acidic.

But, Lisa, if you've had good luck with it, by all means continue. I would change to beet pulp, however, and not feed oats.

Michele, you can feed the Triple Crown feed -- if you are feeding the recommended amounts, you won't need the Glanzen Complete, but if not, you can feed some Glanzen Complete. And the Actiflex is also worthwhile.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Michele
Thank you Dr. Getty for your response to my question about the Equi-bone supplement that I am feeding my ringbone gelding and navicular mare.

I have a few more questions. So you think I should take my ringbone horse off the Equi-bone supplement and start with the Glanzen Complete and Acti-flex for him. As you know I currently feed him whole oats and flaxseeds, so should I switch him to a commercial feed (I feed my other 3 horses Triple Crown Complete).

Currently, my navicular horse is on equi-bone, flaxseeds, and Triple Crown Complete (2x a day). Should I do the same type of feeding for her as my ringbone horse?

I am not sure if you know about the Equi-bone supplement but it is supposed to help with bone integrity and fill in any keyhold lesions on the navicular bone and supposedly help dissolve the bone spurs or calcium deposits on my ringbone horse. It is very expensive and I don't want to waste money if i don't have to.

Thank you so much for your time and advice!

Where are you from? Waverly, OH