Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Suggestions for bug season

Hi Sheila,

Great posting with excellent advice! And I, too, find the fly predators to be helpful but you have to start early in the season.

I am going to try Showsheen on my dog!

I have also heard very good things about Zephyr's Garden products, so if you have experience with them, please feel free to let me know.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Sheila
I too fight the battle (more like full blown warfare) of the ticks (and flies). If you don't mind the feel of it put Showsheen in the horse's mane and tail and on the legs. I have tried other products such as Cowboy Magic and it did not work as well. The slickness of the Showsheen prevents the ticks from being able to hang on and climb up the mane, tail, or legs. This works equally well for dogs.

As for using fly spray I know people complain that it doesn't work for very long regardless of the company claims. However, they tend to work better if you follow directions. (I would put a smiley face but couldn't figure out how). Many of the directions say to use 8 ozs per horse and rub it in not just spritzing . I actually started to do that and the fly spray started to work for days and so it wasn't wasted. Imagine that : ). My horses are out during the day and I use either the concentrate Repel-X or Wipe. Ok they are oily but used as directed they seem to work. I have used the spot-on stuff but you need to start early in the season and I usually forget.

Research has shown that garlic does not repel flies or mosquitoes.

I also use fly predators with great success. I order from Arbico and have been very happy with them. No I get nothing for recommending them but have had great customer service through the years.

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio

I have not tried Zephyr's Garden products so no comment on them.

Where are you from? Cool, CA

Thank you, Sheila,

I plan on giving them a try.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Sheila Larsen
I have not tried Zephyr's Garden products so no comment on them.

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio