Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: probiotic-enzyme combo product....

Hi Jane,

Equi-Zyme from Earth Song Ranch is a highly potent probiotic that also contains yeast -- I find it to be excellent.

You ask a very good question about whether a healthy horse needs a daily probiotic. If the probiotic is keeping him healthy, then, yes. If, for example, your horse travels a great deal, performs, works, or is living in stressful conditions (e.g., stalling and not pasture-boarded), then a probiotic will help keep his immune system healthy. Stress suppresses the immune function and the health of the hind gut microbial population is integral to the immune system's function.

But, if your horse grazes on pasture all day, has an opportunity to socialize, is exercised regularly, and has no health issues, there truly isn't any reason to give a probiotic supplement. There is no danger in doing so, but it just isn't necessary.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jane
What do you know about this product - Equine-Zyme from Earth Song Ranch? http://www.earthsongranch.com/Equine-Zyme-3p225.htm Also can probiotics be fed on a regular basis to an otherwise healthy horse without causing any issues (and/or is it a waste of money?).

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio