Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Nutrena Safe Choice Special Care

Hello!
Ok i just found Nutrena has a new feed Called Safe Choice Special Care they are claiming it has 11% starch but are not saying combined starch and sugar is less than 11 %, I cannot find a feed tag /ingredient list on their web page. What are your feelings on this? Do you know anything further about this feed? They are claiming no corn..thanks! DB

Where are you from? TX

How did you locate this forum? worked with Dr Getty in the past

Re: Nutrena Safe Choice Special Care

Yes, I'm wondering the same thing. I have a draft cross with mild to moderate symptoms of pssm and am wondering if this is a food I could feed her. I've had difficulty keeping weight on her. I'm also wondering which magnesium supplement you would prefer for a possible pssm horse ... mmx or quiessence? The previous owner had her on 10g of a magnesium only supplement per day, when I bought her but never disclosed all the reasons for it (I think).

Where are you from? arizona

How did you locate this forum? searching info on pssm on google

Re: Nutrena Safe Choice Special Care

Hi DB and Collier,

I have an email from Nutrena that states a 15% NSC for their Special Care feed and a 14% NSC for their Empower Balance. I don't, however, know the exact ingredients. For insulin resistant horses, this level is on the high side. Plus, if the horse is overweight, there truly isn't a reason to even feed a commercial feed. You would have to feed it according to directions (which is generally too much to feed) in order to get all the vitamins/minerals that are listed on the bag. Instead, it is better to offer a vitamin/mineral supplement added to a low starch carrier. Beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, or soybean hulls are all excellent carriers.

For a PSSM horse that is in need of additional calories beyond forage, provide additional fat. Flaxseed meal is a good choice or a flaxseed meal based vitamin/mineral supplement such as Glanzen Complete.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

R Collier
Yes, I'm wondering the same thing. I have a draft cross with mild to moderate symptoms of pssm and am wondering if this is a food I could feed her. I've had difficulty keeping weight on her. I'm also wondering which magnesium supplement you would prefer for a possible pssm horse ... mmx or quiessence? The previous owner had her on 10g of a magnesium only supplement per day, when I bought her but never disclosed all the reasons for it (I think).

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio