Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
loose salt....

Hi Dr. Getty, can you please help me find a source of sodium (loose salt) for my horses. I bought a 50 lb. bag at our local Tractor Supply and will be returning it as it has Yellow Prussiate of Soda (YPS) in it and I researched that out and have decided that I do not want to give that to my horses.

Thanks!

Where are you from? NY

How did you locate this forum? Dr. Getty

Re: loose salt....

Hello Jane,

Yes, I recently saw that when I was at Tractor Supply! It contains prussic acid (that's cyanide)!. I suppose it is in very small amounts, but I'm not sure if it is small enough. The product contains 98% salt, so that means, it's 2% something else.

You were wise in returning it. I am also looking for a good way to buy salt in bulk and have not yet found one except to go to Sam's and buy granulated salt in 5 lb containers. That's better than the one pound containers at the grocery store. Five pounds will last 80 days for one horse (if you feed 2 tablespoons - one ounce -- per day).

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jane Ames
Hi Dr. Getty, can you please help me find a source of sodium (loose salt) for my horses. I bought a 50 lb. bag at our local Tractor Supply and will be returning it as it has Yellow Prussiate of Soda (YPS) in it and I researched that out and have decided that I do not want to give that to my horses.

Thanks!

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio