Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
vegetables

I have 5 horses, 2 minis who were overweight and IR but we are working on it, and 3 large horses, one older who has coliced twice and went to surgery both times, also foundered, due to wild strawberries i didn't know about, we think. You talk about feeding fruits to overweight horses and balancing that sugar but what about vegetables? are there any veggies you recommend feeding to horses?
thanks so much, i love your website and i just gave all the info and the link to my vet who was really happy to see how accurate all your info is and is anxious to pass it on to her clients!
thanks so much for you help!

Where are you from? Hanover, NH

How did you locate this forum? online search

Re: vegetables

Hi Nancy,

Veggies are much, much lower in sugar (except for carrots) than fruits would be. But there aren't many to choose from that horses like and are safe to feed. Lettuce and celery are okay, but stay away from broccoli, cabbage, collards, tomatoes, or spinach -- these are all hazardous.

Squash, such as zucchini, pumpkin, acorn, etc. are safe to feed. They do have somewhat more sugar than green leafies (actually squash is a fruit).

Remember that fruit rinds like watermelon rinds and apple peels are low in sugar.

Thank you for your very kind words and showing your vet my book.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Nancy Izenson
I have 5 horses, 2 minis who were overweight and IR but we are working on it, and 3 large horses, one older who has coliced twice and went to surgery both times, also foundered, due to wild strawberries i didn't know about, we think. You talk about feeding fruits to overweight horses and balancing that sugar but what about vegetables? are there any veggies you recommend feeding to horses?
thanks so much, i love your website and i just gave all the info and the link to my vet who was really happy to see how accurate all your info is and is anxious to pass it on to her clients!
thanks so much for you help!

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio