Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
psyllium

So i read your information on feeding psyllium daily to even out glucose. I have not found that anywhere else and i keep reading that you should not feed your horse psyllium more than one week a month. Yet i also read that you should never just change a horses diet. so, i thought about giving them the psyllium as you suggested but i wanted to make sure that wouldn't cause any problems or make them unable to use the psyllium to clear sand(i read that too)
thanks so much
Nancy

Where are you from? Hanover, NH

How did you locate this forum? online search

Re: psyllium

Hello Nancy,

The suggestions are based on this study: http://nicholsequine.net/uploads/Psyllium_lowers_blood_glucose_and_insulin.pdf

And it makes sense because psyllium fiber inhibits the absorption of glucose. It doesn't totally prevent it, but it slows it down, making the insulin response less dramatic. This is very helpful for the horse who is already insulin resistant.

I see no health issues connected to feeding psyllium. It is a water soluble fiber, much like you would find in other fibrous feeds.

Thank you for this important question.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Nancy Izenson
So i read your information on feeding psyllium daily to even out glucose. I have not found that anywhere else and i keep reading that you should not feed your horse psyllium more than one week a month. Yet i also read that you should never just change a horses diet. so, i thought about giving them the psyllium as you suggested but i wanted to make sure that wouldn't cause any problems or make them unable to use the psyllium to clear sand(i read that too)
thanks so much
Nancy

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio