Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Poulin MVP

Hi Dr. Getty
I am writing to you about my 6 year old spotted draft gelding. He is 17h and weighs 1650 lbs. He is currently on 2 lbs alfalfa timothy hay cubes AM and 1 lb alfalfa timothy hay cubes PM. He also gets 1 scoop glanzen complete AM and PM along with 2 small scoops Foxden Flex IR AM and PM and 1/2 TBLS salt AM and PM. He also gets free choice hay and he is on pasture 12+ hours a day. Due to the drought both the hay and the pasture are not great quality. I soak the hay cube and Nova seemed to enjoy this for a while. I full board and they didn't completely mix in the supplements (Nova is VERY picky when it comes to powder supplements) so now he is starting to dump his food out.I have been considering changing him over to Poulin MVP supplement (instead of the hay cubes and glanzen)but I am concerned he won't be getting everything he needs especially Vit E and selenium. If I do switch should I get him a vit E and selenium supplement?
Also he is on a joint supplement to help his locking stifle. He is sensitive to sugar in that he becomes very crazy and spooky thats why I put him on the Foxden flex IR. Its not working. I have read good things about Hylasport CTS, can a horse that gets hot on sugar have this supplement?
One last thing am I giving him enough salt? he has a salt lick in addition to the salt I add to his feed.
Thank you so much for your time!
Meghan
PS I LOVE the forage for thought newsletter!

Where are you from? MA

How did you locate this forum? I've been here before

Re: Poulin MVP

Hello Meghan,

Thank you for writing. There truly isn't any comparison between Glanzen Complete and the Poulin MVP. You could switch and add vitamin E, but it would not provide the additional B vitamins, vitamin D, vitamin C, and vitamin A.

I assume you're looking for something that can be fed alone - something pelleted. I would consider Exceed 6-Way because it would cover joints and also provide the hoof protection that the Glanzen provided, as well as offering omega 3s.

His behavior may be influenced by a borderline magnesium deficiency, which would be addressed by the Exceed 6-Way, as well.

Yes, you can go with the Hylasport CTS but it is a powder and that would still present the same issue of adding it to alfalfa cubes.

With salt, the goal is to add 1 ounce per day -- that's two tablespoons. So since you're feeding 1/2 T per meal, you can double that.

I hope these supplements are helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Meghan
Hi Dr. Getty
I am writing to you about my 6 year old spotted draft gelding. He is 17h and weighs 1650 lbs. He is currently on 2 lbs alfalfa timothy hay cubes AM and 1 lb alfalfa timothy hay cubes PM. He also gets 1 scoop glanzen complete AM and PM along with 2 small scoops Foxden Flex IR AM and PM and 1/2 TBLS salt AM and PM. He also gets free choice hay and he is on pasture 12+ hours a day. Due to the drought both the hay and the pasture are not great quality. I soak the hay cube and Nova seemed to enjoy this for a while. I full board and they didn't completely mix in the supplements (Nova is VERY picky when it comes to powder supplements) so now he is starting to dump his food out.I have been considering changing him over to Poulin MVP supplement (instead of the hay cubes and glanzen)but I am concerned he won't be getting everything he needs especially Vit E and selenium. If I do switch should I get him a vit E and selenium supplement?
Also he is on a joint supplement to help his locking stifle. He is sensitive to sugar in that he becomes very crazy and spooky thats why I put him on the Foxden flex IR. Its not working. I have read good things about Hylasport CTS, can a horse that gets hot on sugar have this supplement?
One last thing am I giving him enough salt? he has a salt lick in addition to the salt I add to his feed.
Thank you so much for your time!
Meghan
PS I LOVE the forage for thought newsletter!

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio

Hi Dr. Getty
Thanks so much for replying! I have been experimenting with canola oil and hay pellets for Nova instead of the hay cubes. He seems to really like the hay pellets with the oil so I was wondering would this combination along with the glanzen complete and salt be better then the Poulin MVP? Then adding Quiessence for magnesium help? He has been on the Quiessence before and it worked well for him. I just want to do what is best for him and the glanzen complete seems to be the better product. Thanks again for your time!

Meghan

Where are you from? Western MA

How did you locate this forum? been here before

Hello Meghan,

Yes, your plan is very good -- hay pellets plus the supplements, Glanzen Complete and Quiessence, will work well. You may not need the oil since Glanzen Complete is flaxseed meal based. Feed 1 scoop per 400 lbs of body weight.

You can always add oil later if more calories are needed.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Meghan
Hi Dr. Getty
Thanks so much for replying! I have been experimenting with canola oil and hay pellets for Nova instead of the hay cubes. He seems to really like the hay pellets with the oil so I was wondering would this combination along with the glanzen complete and salt be better then the Poulin MVP? Then adding Quiessence for magnesium help? He has been on the Quiessence before and it worked well for him. I just want to do what is best for him and the glanzen complete seems to be the better product. Thanks again for your time!

Meghan

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio