Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New navicular

Hello! My 13yo Quarter Horse gelding had metabolic laminitis 3 years ago. Since then his pasture intake has been restricted (muzzle on at least every other day, everyday when new lush spring grass comes in), and he gets 2lbs of Triple Crown 30% and 1lb of rice bran daily. He is also on 3mL of Miracrome, Bioflax, and joint combo supplement. He has been barefoot his entire life and last week the vet diagnosed him with mild navicular, changes only in the right hoof. We've ordered some isoxsuprine for him to start and also bute 3 days per week, as well as theraputic shoeing. I just ran across the the Equibone, which looks like a really good addition to his feeding program, but supplements are so confusing!! I'm sure there is such a thing as too much and I just want to make sure I'm not over doing it if I add that as well. Thanks for your input.

Where are you from? Maryland

How did you locate this forum? searching for feedback on Equibone

Re: New navicular

Hello Katie,

You are wise to look into potential overlaps between supplements. Adding Equibone would definitely overlap with the other supplements you're providing.

I am concerned about the consistent use of bute, which could lead to an ulcer. And I am concerned about any stress that is caused by the muzzle, since stress causes a hormonal response that can increase inflammation. So, if the muzzle is well received, then it is okay to use for a few hours, but if not, consider a dry lot with a low NSC hay offered free choice.

And for the pain, there can be two approaches -- first to provide a buteless herbal preparation to replace bute. I recommend SuPer Substitute. Secondly is reducing inflammation. Adding an omega 3 fatty acid preparation that combines both omega 3s from flaxseed meal plus from fish oils, is an aggressive approach toward inflammation reduction. I recommend Omega-3-F.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Katie K
Hello! My 13yo Quarter Horse gelding had metabolic laminitis 3 years ago. Since then his pasture intake has been restricted (muzzle on at least every other day, everyday when new lush spring grass comes in), and he gets 2lbs of Triple Crown 30% and 1lb of rice bran daily. He is also on 3mL of Miracrome, Bioflax, and joint combo supplement. He has been barefoot his entire life and last week the vet diagnosed him with mild navicular, changes only in the right hoof. We've ordered some isoxsuprine for him to start and also bute 3 days per week, as well as theraputic shoeing. I just ran across the the Equibone, which looks like a really good addition to his feeding program, but supplements are so confusing!! I'm sure there is such a thing as too much and I just want to make sure I'm not over doing it if I add that as well. Thanks for your input.

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio