Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
27 Year Old Gelding

Hi Dr Getty...
I am sorry, I probably should of posted this question with my other post regarding my OTTB!

I have a 27 year old gelding, who is retired. I am wondering if you can recommend some supplements for him as he his stiff in the hind end, slightly drags his toes and he "creaks" and "groans" when he walks. I was thinking of MSM and glucosamine. But I am unsure as to how much of each he would require (he's about 900 lbs). Any recommendations would be fantastic!!! Thank you, Sarah

Where are you from? Canada

How did you locate this forum? Friend

Re: 27 Year Old Gelding

Hi Sarah,

Glucosamine and MSM - 10,000 mg per day of each would be a good choice.

There is a product called Hylasport CTS that can be shipped to Canada, that you may wish to try since it offers more than glucosamine and MSM.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Sarah Close
Hi Dr Getty...
I am sorry, I probably should of posted this question with my other post regarding my OTTB!

I have a 27 year old gelding, who is retired. I am wondering if you can recommend some supplements for him as he his stiff in the hind end, slightly drags his toes and he "creaks" and "groans" when he walks. I was thinking of MSM and glucosamine. But I am unsure as to how much of each he would require (he's about 900 lbs). Any recommendations would be fantastic!!! Thank you, Sarah

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio