Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hay Analysis ? TDN

Hello Marcia,

Total digestible nutrients (TDN) is not a useful measure for horses. It refers to how well cows (and other ruminants such as sheep and goats) are able to digest the fibrous component of hay. There are portions of hay that are indigestible to horses, so you could say that the higher the TDN, the more indigestible the hay is for horses. But I do not have an exact percentage to offer you.

It is usually calculated by taking a percentage of Acid detergent fiber (ADF). ADF contains lignin, an indigestible fiber for horses, so the higher the TDN, the more lignin the hay would contain.

I really easy and economical way to have hay tested is to send a sample to Equi-Analytical Labs and order their Equi-Tech test which costs $26. I understand that you couldn't test every batch, but you could compare a first and second cutting to give you an idea of the fibrous portion of the hay.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Marcia
It seems that IF any analysis is done on the hay by the hay farmers near here, they are only getting a very basic report - - which does not include the NSC values or the values used to calculate the NSC, and no mineral analysis is being done.
I was told by a prof at Clemson U that IR horses should not be eating hay with a TDN value over 40%. I can't seem to find any written reference to this. Could you please comment on this. It will be very cost prohibitive for me to test every batch of hay we purchase here, as there is limited storage space. The hay he referred to with a TDN was a Bermuda Coastal square baled hay - the TDN was 53%.
Thank you for your input.

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio

Dr. Getty - Thank you so much for your reply. I will definitely take your advise about getting the hay analysis that you suggest, as I would really like to be able to buy hay from the same provider if possible. I continue to study your book - and also have your DVD which I will be viewing sometime soon. After listening to your recorded teleseminar regarding the easy keepers, we have made several adjustments to our feeding and grazing practices, and I am pleased to say, that our horses have been showing some nice improvements. One gelding still gets hard in the crest area after his grazing time, so we will continue to limit his grazing until we see more improvement. I have been using the Quiessence, and will look back at my notes, as I seem to remember that you suggested that if Quiessence didn't prove to be too successful, to try another product(?). Thank you once again for your help.

Where are you from? Aiken, SC

How did you locate this forum? your internet site

Hi Marcia,

Rather than limit grazing, limit grazing of high sugar/high starch hay and allow free-choice grazing of a low NSC hay. Limiting grazing will keep his neck cresty because the hormonal response tells his body to avoid burning fat and to hold on to it.

You mention a "DVD" -- I do not have a DVD -- perhaps you mean my teleseminar on audio CD? My book is available as a pdf file, which I place on a CD, but it is not a audio or visual document.

I'm delighted that you found my teleseminar helpful. The product you are asking about is Carb X, which has additional antioxidants and herbs in it that are useful in lowering blood insulin levels. But the best way to lower circulating insulin is to remove the stress response that exists with an empty stomach.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Marcia L Cannizzo
Dr. Getty - Thank you so much for your reply. I will definitely take your advise about getting the hay analysis that you suggest, as I would really like to be able to buy hay from the same provider if possible. I continue to study your book - and also have your DVD which I will be viewing sometime soon. After listening to your recorded teleseminar regarding the easy keepers, we have made several adjustments to our feeding and grazing practices, and I am pleased to say, that our horses have been showing some nice improvements. One gelding still gets hard in the crest area after his grazing time, so we will continue to limit his grazing until we see more improvement. I have been using the Quiessence, and will look back at my notes, as I seem to remember that you suggested that if Quiessence didn't prove to be too successful, to try another product(?). Thank you once again for your help.

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio