Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Use of supplements to speed healing of soft tissue wound

Hello Geralynn,

Yes, you were correct in using antioxidants. I realize that some time has gone by since you wrote, and I hope that your horse's healing is well underway. There is a supplement that I know would be helpful. It is called SuPer Antioxidant and while it doesn't contain bromelain, it does contain grapeseed extract, as well as lipoic acid and other antioxidants to speed healing.

One non-scientific remedy that a client of mine swears by to help with healing and prevent proud flesh is to wrap the wound with strips of cloth that have been soaked in apple cider vinegar. Wrap with vet wrap and keep it on until it dries. Repeat each day. It may be worth a try, in addition to the antioxidants (of course).

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Geralynn Johns
I am searching for information about specific nutrients that will help the healing process of soft tissue injuries. We have a 2 yr. old QH mare with a cut across the heel bulb on a hind leg. The damage did not go through the coronary band. After stitching, the foot was put in a cast. We want to give her body every advantage to heal quickly. What specific nutrients would help? Would antioxidants help? I'm considering Vit C or Vit E. What about grapeseed extract? One source recommends Bromelan (sp?)to heal tendon and ligament damage. Other suggestions? Thank you.

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio