Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Diet for mustangs

Thank you Dr. Getty. Also, regarding parasite control and supplements. My four year old mustang "Cheyenne" was a severely malnurished rescue when I adopted her as a 1 year old filly. She looks beautiful and healthy now, but has always been a high shedder. Are there any supplements that you would recommend adding to her diet, assuming that I would be feeding the Triple Crown Lite and the Nutra Flax--wondering if Probiotics would help?

Also, if I fed the TC Safe Starch as a "grain replacement" does it meet dietary needs if it is not being fed as a complete feed replacement? The recommendations on the label talk about feeding 20 lbs a day for a 1000 lb horse.

Re: Diet for mustangs

Hi Shari,

A pre/probiotic is definitely worthwhile -- I recommend Synbiotic EQ because it contains both pre and probiotics plus immune support.

But, from a deworming perspective, I would consider giving her a 5-day double dose treatment of fenbendazole to eradicate encysted larvae. Take a look at Panacur Powerpac -- you can also discuss this with your veterinarian.

You can feed the TC Safe Starch at the full amount, but if you only feed a small amount of it, you are not providing all of the vitamins/minerals needed. So you would need to offer a supplement. This gets tricky. But, depending on how much you are feeding, you could add a supplement such as High Point for Grass diets -- this plus the Nutra Flax will fill in all the gaps.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Shari Downing
Thank you Dr. Getty. Also, regarding parasite control and supplements. My four year old mustang "Cheyenne" was a severely malnurished rescue when I adopted her as a 1 year old filly. She looks beautiful and healthy now, but has always been a high shedder. Are there any supplements that you would recommend adding to her diet, assuming that I would be feeding the Triple Crown Lite and the Nutra Flax--wondering if Probiotics would help?

Also, if I fed the TC Safe Starch as a "grain replacement" does it meet dietary needs if it is not being fed as a complete feed replacement? The recommendations on the label talk about feeding 20 lbs a day for a 1000 lb horse.

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio