Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
vitamins

I have a Cushings and insulin resistant horse who is on Well Solve L/S. I am thinking of switching to a mix of timothy/orchard grass pellets and alfalfa pellets and was wondering if High Point would be the best was to go as far as adding needed vitamins? He also gets a good quality timothy/grass hay. He is on Metabolic Support which is high magnesium which has helped so much. Thank you, Susan

Where are you from? Cincinnati, Ohio

How did you locate this forum? Talked to you at the equine affaire 2 yrs ago, please come back!!!

Re: vitamins

Hello Susan,

I think feeding a grass pellet, plus appropriate supplements, is the best way to go because you would have to feed the recommended amount of WellSolve L/S in order for your horse to get all the vitamins/minerals that are listed on the label. And if you do not, then you end of with deficiencies. So, your idea of High Point is a good one. I would also add some flaxseed meal -- consider Nutra Flax because it does not have any added oats.

All the best,

Dr. Juliet Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse
Contributing Nutrition Editor of the Horse Journal

Susan Borden
I have a Cushings and insulin resistant horse who is on Well Solve L/S. I am thinking of switching to a mix of timothy/orchard grass pellets and alfalfa pellets and was wondering if High Point would be the best was to go as far as adding needed vitamins? He also gets a good quality timothy/grass hay. He is on Metabolic Support which is high magnesium which has helped so much. Thank you, Susan

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio