Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Selenium

Hi Rayanne,

No, I do not see any reason to continue supplementing selenium beyond what she is getting with the Platinum Performance. She needs 1 to 3 mg per day and up to 5 mg per day if heavily exercised. And keep in mind that there may be selenium in her hay or your pasture. Plus, if you are giving her any fortified feeds, those will also contain selenium.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Rayanne
I have a 4 year old OTTB that is currently on a selenium supplement (in addition to being on Platinum Performance Equine). I know that anything over 5mg per day of selenium is not good for horses and I have checked and the selenium supplement and Platinum Performance(combined) are still below 5mg per day.

The reason behind the selenium supplement was because my horse tied-up about a year ago during a training-ride with a trainer (I no longer use her and havent had her tie up again with my current trainer). I asked my veternarian when it happened and she suggested putting her on a selenium supplement as it helps in preventing tieing up.

My question to you is - do you think I should keep giving the additional selenium supplement? I personally dont think she is really pre-disposed to tie-ing up being that was the only time it ever happened while I have owned her and I really think it was more to do with the trainer riding her too hard without properly cooling her down. I dont want to over supplement my horse either.. Plus its another $25 dollars a month that I spend for selenium supplement she may not really need??

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio