Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: formula 4 feet compared to Glanzen lite complete

Hello Sue,

Thank you for your patience. Formula4Feet is a nice preparation however, it's interesting that it only has 54.5 mg of biotin per pound. I prefer to feed 20 mg of biotin per day for hoof health and you would have to feed almost 1/2 pound of Formula4Feet to get this amount.

Also, it contains iron, which is problematic because forages are already so high in iron. Too much iron interferes with zinc and copper metabolism, so why add more in a supplement.

It does have small amounts of amino acids and trace minerals, but these are provided by forages as well.

Glanzen Lite Complete offers higher levels of antioxidants, mineral balance (with no iron), and proper biotin levels (as well as the other 7 B vitamins (Formula4Feet only has 5 of the 8 B vitamins). Glanzen Lite Complete is also flaxseed meal based, giving it a higher omega 3 fatty acid content.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

sue
I was wondering what you thought of Formula 4 Feet by Emerald Valley compared to Glanzen Lite Complete. I have three horses and one is insulin resistance and the other two are easy Keepers. I am looking for a multi vitamin and mineral supplement that comes in a pellet form. They are all on grass hay.
Thank you

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio