General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Old Sqn Rules and Traditions

Reading through the various entries and I cannot find any reference to the Phantom welly we had on 111 sqdn at Leuchars in the seventies. Always a moot point with our sisters on 43, they repeatedly tried to nab the said welly only to be foiled by subterfuge or a smack in the mouth. I do recall said welly being kidnapped and a happy snap being sent to us of welly in repose with a 9 milly pointed at it.Its the little things I suppose.

Hi,
How many of you remember the old 17sqn WO "The Sock"? He was a tradition all on his own. I always remember the first thing he organised on any det was to get the tea bar set up. There were bicycle clips on display all over the sqn I also remember him explaining to the crazy SWO at big B, none too tactfull, that he shouldn't stray into the tech site. I believe he was hiding behind a tree trying to catch unwary bods improperly dressed, which meant most of the sqn personnel.

I,and a couple of others kidnapped the "Tremblers" Welly, whilst 29 Sqn was on detachment at Leuchars.
When Treble one visited Coningsby a bit later they got it back, by holding the 29 Sqn birds hostage and then did a deal.
Happy days.
Pat Johnson
Ex "Faggot Leader" 56 Sqn

Glyn,

I was at the other end of the shed on XIV and remember 'The Sock' do you remember 'Gods Window' which was the only one not blacked out so the boss could watch the troops working on his jets.

I remember ths SWO incident too!!

I'll never forget Neil Shoulder rushing to take the brand new V8 defender out for it's first trip then filling it up with petrol...crated for gross incompetence!

Oh yes I remember him well.
If he caught you coming into the hangar late,
You got put on BOG DUTIES.

I've just come across the bit about 'the Sock' - Bill Pickering was his name. I remember him taking his bike on the VC10 to Deci in 1973. While there the armourers presented him with a pair of winged trouser clips and he could be seen leading aircraft, after rects, from the shed back on to the line riding his bike and showing off his trouser clips. A film was made of this but I expect it has long since disappeared.

I remember the 92 rule at darts or anything else, I also remember the stab night in the Mally on route to Cyprus. Any one remember the cheese and wine parties with Bob Clancy? I dont remember ever leaving one.

Cheers

JR