General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Detachment Moments

I must admit I cant actually remeber it, but then I seem to remember I was normally wasted after any work we actually did on that detatchment. I also got a bill for John Kings matress in Sgts Mess: much to his embarassment when Chf Clerk in middle of Leuchars PSF said "Sgt King we have a bill for your matress". He was spitting feathers when he got back to the hangar!!

George if you also rember on that detachment we were into the second week when the usual afternoon beach run was cancelled by W/Cmmdr read and the Sengo, Sqdn/Ldr Bell. When I asked the Sengo the next day what had happened to the bus I was informed that there was a fuel conservation on and it had been decided that 111 would do their bit by cancelling the afternoon beach run which I will point out was for the groundcrew. The pilots and navs had two minibuses to run around in!! I then pointed out to the Sengo that the Lineys were up at 5am in the morning and by the time shift change came at 12 they were all ready for their lunch, down to the beach,a couple of beers, a swim and they were a happy bunch I then gave him the alternative, an afteroon boozing in the Pen Club, a game of cards in the afternoon (the CO did not like gambling) a couple of fire extingushers being set of in the name of "high jinks" and probably a bit more mayhem. Lo and behold the next day the bus was reinstated and evrything was back to normal. I remember that extra week. All the Lightnings were leaking like sieves, the Victor tankers were held up by the Italians, it was a wonder we all got back on the seventh week. 111 was not my favourite Sqdn with Read in charge

Deci Memories

Having just received Brian Crofts entry for the "club", I will always remember the said person "falling asleep in his spaghetti in the mess when confronted by the most boring man in the world (a certain Fairy NCO at the time who I wont name as it is always a bit embarrassing) Bored to death Brian stayed face down in the tomato sauce for at least 5 mins, the boring Cpl being completely oblivious to the reason!! Priceless - nice to hear from you Brian!

Re: Deci Memories

Hello Den,I don't suppose that boring NCO was Tony 'Cleano' Lepine was it? He certainly fits the bill.

Sadly I missed that one, but good to see that "Hobs" Kelly has found the site.

Brian, I was in ASF at Coningsby, 78 to 84, and there was a fairy called Chris Eaves, and men were known to go into a coma in the midst of any conversation involving him......

Hi John
I hadn't joined 43 at the time of limejug I was still a C130 sooty.
However I do recall a month long trip to Luqa to demonstrate our 24hr capping capability.
Joe Harvey in charge of the advanced party didn't bother to take wing locks, aircrew left wings folded. Main party arived after missing two nights sleep, Belfast struck by lightening (real lightening not 23sqn variety) landing in thunderstorm. One aircraft on line with outer wing resting on fuselage another suffering damage after a section of hangar roof landed on it. Capping went ok and we broke some serviceabilty records even though we had to scrounge bits off the Ark Royal to keep us going. Air traffic tottie bugled during a rear seat jolly missed the bag and reputedly asked if she could have a another trip. Don't recall getting a mess bill from Luqa on that trip.