General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How about a final Phantomeers Beer Call - before we all 'peg it' ?

I'll be there about 7.30. Train gets in at 7 drop bag, Spoon's 😏

Roger

Looks like I will be coming for Friday and Saturday Night. I will just have to pack a spare liver for Saturday.

Innes

Hi Roger, apologies from me. Just a little far from New Zealand.

I hope that you have a great response to this function.

Kind regards - Kes

Hey! Thanks Kes. Nice to hear from you. Pity you could not make it this time - especially as Brian and Al will be there.

Please let me know when you do re-visit the UK again. It would be great to see you again after all these years.

Best wishes.

Roger

So, for those of us planning on going to the beer call by train, the Train unions have decided to announce the 15th and 17th September as the days they are going on strike. Thanks guys….not. I will keep an eye on what is going on but this will certainly screw up my plans if it goes ahead. Hoping for something to happen so the strike doesn’t happen.

Train Strike!!!

Update! The Phantomeers meet will still go ahead! Too many people have booked hotels etc to call it off this late. I had planned to travel by train also. Travelling on the 16th and returning home on the 18th. Strike days are the 15th and 17th Sep. So trains will still run on Fri and Sun but probably a limited service due to trains not being in the right place!

National Express are still running coaches! And i'm also looking at hiring a small van!

So even if I have to crawl up there - I'm still going!!

The trains being in the wrong place id mainly a problem when travelling early in the morning. By mid-day they have udually sorted the problem out.
I will still be going on Friday and returning on Sunday.

Innes Griggs

The train unions have decided to call off the strikes for the 15th and 17th September. I’m sure we all know why, which is good news to come from bad.

It means we can all make it to the beer call and raise a glass to the boss now she has passed on.

I’ll drink to that Buck! And perhaps a second toast to our new King Charles III.

God bless the Queen.

God save the King.

See you all next weekend. R

Good evening Roger, Steve Hanson emailed me today to remind me about the reunion next week in Skipton. I will only be able to participate in the finale on the Saturday as my wife is currently recovering from Gamma Radiation treatment for a brain tumour. I will be driving up on the Saturday morning and leaving late Saturday night as I have to be back home on the Sunday to look after my wife, so no "Sherberts" for me but it will be worth it to see some amazing friends that I haven't seen for so many years.
stay well,
stay safe every one,
Dick Elvin

Thank you Dick. Best wishes to you and I wish and pray for a speedy recovery for your Wife. See you on Saturday night. R

Bit late to the party but didn't know about it till chatting with Kate the other day. Now booked 2 nights at the Travelodge so will be there Fri/Sat. Looking forward to it. Do we have a meeting place/time for Friday?

Good to hear Al and looking forward to having a beer with you.
We are meeting in Witherspoons on the Friday night, no specific time, but we need to last the night...
I've spoken to a few people that didn't know about the doo, mainly because they don't visit the website. I messaged Colin McShane last night about 43 Sqn reunion later on this month at Leuchars and I asked if he was going to what will probably be the last Phantom reunion in Skipton, and he replied "What Phantom reunion". So I expect there are a few who don't know about it. Anyway it was good of Roger to come up with the idea. See you soon.

Frank Kerr
Good to hear Al and looking forward to having a beer with you.
We are meeting in Witherspoons on the Friday night, no specific time, but we need to last the night...
I've spoken to a few people that didn't know about the doo, mainly because they don't visit the website. I messaged Colin McShane last night about 43 Sqn reunion later on this month at Leuchars and I asked if he was going to what will probably be the last Phantom reunion in Skipton, and he replied "What Phantom reunion". So I expect there are a few who don't know about it. Anyway it was good of Roger to come up with the idea. See you soon.
Hi guys,
Looking forward to saturday as it’s the only night I’ll be there. I will gladly pay £5 quid for our get together . See you soon

Hi all

Just to let everyone on the forum that after Al and I had a chat today we have decided not to come down for the beer call this weekend. We both have family health problems. Al's dad has recently had a heart attack and is recovering from this and my wife's brother has had stroke and because of this they have had stopped his dialysis and has given him weeks to live so we have to take each day as it comes. Hope everyone has a great catch up. Roger I will give you a call when everything calms down up here.
Cheers
Brian and Al

Update! For Soc - a decision was made ( after consulting several other members) not to collect £5.00 off everyone to book space at the Ackroyd Bar. Why put £150 behind the bar as a tab when those who want to, can throw a fiver into a jar on the table and buy a drink as and when? And we also retain the freedom to ‘move on’ if we don’t like the beer at this bar!

It is settled we meet on Friday night at The Devonshire (Weatherspoons) from 6pm onwards. However, I will ‘disappear’ at some point for an hour to check out the Ackroyd Bar and one other pub that has been recommended to me by a Veteran RAF guy who lives locally. I will report back no later than 9.00pm on my finds and perhaps at that stage we can make a decision where we all meet on the Saturday night?

Brian and Al, really sorry to hear you have had to pull out for Family reasons - but Family always comes 1st. Perhaps someone might decide to try and organise another informal meet in several years time (hint hint). I still look forward to seeing you both again sometime in the future.

Finally, don’t be surprised, if on the night, a RAFA ‘Wings Appeal’ collection tin appears on the table. Dig deep Phantomeers!

Final count is still approximately 30 people attending! Enjoy the weekend. R

Hi Roger,

I assume you will put the decision for Saturday's initial meet on this page (for the lightweights amongst us, me included, who can only make Saturday).

Sorry Guys, I wont be able to make it. I have come down with a bug that is making me nauseous. Have a few beers for me and I hope to see you all at the next reunion (if there is one).

Innes Griggs

Yes Buck! if we make a decision tonight to meet at a different venue Saturday night, I will put something on here! Roger

Sorry to hear you wont be joining us Innes! Get well soon. Roger

Where are we meeting tonight saturday

18.30 at Weatherspoons SOC - it's called The Devonshire. See you l8r!