General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Rowe

Hi all
It with great sadness that I have to let you all know that another great character within the phantom world has passed away. John Rowe passed away at 1130hrs today 20th August 2023. I first met John in Wildenrath in 1981 as a JT on a MCS detatchment in the MCS Bay at Wildenrath, John, Sean Turner and Any Anderton took me under their wing both in work and within the Rugby fratenity, rightly or wrongly set a fantastic impression on me and throughout my career in the Airforce set a great example which I really apreciated.
Hope John is now at peace and creating havoc where ever the next journey is, Rest in peace my friend meet you on the next stage in life
will always remember you sir
JIm

Re: John Rowe

Sad to hear this news about John. Please pass on the details about when and where his funeral takes place if you can?

The last ‘meet’ we had did take place in Skipton last year and it was really pleasing to see John turn up! In all, about 30 of us turned up over the two nights and we all had a great time!

If enough interest is shown in another gathering, then I would be happy to help organise something!

I did have a crazy idea that we meet on Remembrance weekend across in Stamford - perhaps Friday and Saturday night and then join the Remembrance March with other Veterans through Stamford town centre before dispersing and going home? I even spoke to the RBL liaison rep from Stamford about another group of Vets marching with them and he was delighted and would welcome us! Usually it is the Stn Commander of RAF Wittering who takes the salute. It would be a nice way to remember John, Sean and many other friends and colleagues who have ‘passed’

But time is short now to organise something this year???

Roger

I knew big John for more than 50 years. Had a multitude of beers in various places and last spoke to him in Skipton last year. RIP John.

Hi Roger
Yes it would be great to have another reunion, I was at Skipton last year, It was th elast time I saw John, George Learmonth and I were due to visit him next month but unfortunately that will not take place but I will post any update on Funeral arrangements
regards
Jim

Aye, the Big Man has left a hooj gap in this world. Many happy memories of numerous encounters with John will live on forever. Skilly and myself are fair saddened at his passing.

So much love and respect to this man huge part of my life from a little girl . I pass Leuchars regularly and have many memories love from myself and my familie ❤️ 💙 ♥️ gone too soon rest in peace uxxx

Details of John's funeral arrangements have been put on his Facebook page.
"The funeral service for John Rowe will be held at Barham Crematorium, CT4 6QU on Fri 8th September, 2pm. We will then gather in Blean (details TBC) to celebrate John's life together. We would be very grateful if you can confirm with his daughter Julie your attendance at the funeral and/or the gathering in Blean so that we can organise the catering: jrsnoring@gmail.com. We are also looking to webcast. Family flowers only but if you wish you can give a donation to Pilgrims Hospices via J Dilnot-Smith & Son https://jdilnotsmith.co.uk/ on their website or in person. Ros, Julie, Fabio & Lauryn x"

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0TWT6F2gHeXB5DDDJxyyYrLNXXEJbr5S84HAoF8NjiUnwieGqHmF3on336f4bkoS8l&id=100025670078229.

Just received a letter from Ros advising of Johns passing....Gutted!!

John and I first met in 1970 as boys in Cosfords 217 Craft Apprentice Entry. Our paths later crossed in the 1980's
when John joined Frankie Kerr, Jimmy Orr and myself to look after the MCS Bay at Leuchars. After demob
John and I joined up for the final time when as Manufacturing Team leaders we ran the Manufacturing production
lines for Motorola (Cellular) in Bathgate. In 2021 the facility folded and John and family decided it was the
right time to "move nearer home".

The big man leaves many fond and treasured memories for us all... such a massive character personalty and friend.

Jean and I would like to send our sincere condolences to Ros, Julie and family at this difficult time.

So long pal...

Paul

Hi Jim, Sad news. Another great guy departs the field. Regards to all