Weddings Abroad

Discussion Forum for Destination Weddings

Weddings Abroad
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Help!!!

Hi Steve

Please find below info from the Public Records Office, however one suggestion if you still cannot find info is to contact a solicitor. By using your original birth cert showing "old" name, register a new deed poll to show "new" name - then you have your deed poll proof. Check the legality of this with your solicitor first.

Changes of name by deed poll were (and are) made before a solicitor who could enrol them, for safe-keeping, in the Close Rolls of Chancery or the later Enrolment Books of the Supreme Court of Judicature. In fact, very few changes of name were enrolled, as it was not a legal obligation and extra fees were payable. Most people who come to the PRO looking for an enrolled change of name are disappointed.

The original deed poll will have been given to the person who changed their name. Although the solicitor who prepared the deed poll may have kept a copy on file, it is unlikely to be a certified copy, nor is the file likely to have been kept for more than five years. In fact, there may never have been a deed poll: a perfectly legal alternative such as a statutory declaration before JP or Commissioner for Oaths (which could not be enrolled), or an advertisement in the newspapers, may have been used instead. (It may be possible to check local newspapers at the British Library Newspaper Library, Colindale Avenue, Colindale, London NW7 5HE).

Hope that helps

WeddingsAbroad.com

info@weddingsabroad.com

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Wedding in Puerto Vallarta

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help !!! Can anybody help me please ?

I am getting married in Royal Decameron next April, and just getting all the forms together to send to the Foreign Office in the UK to get them legalised for Mexico. Such as Valid passport, full birth certificates , change of name deed, etc.

My problem is that my surname was change when I was about 3 years old. Now that I need this document it cannot be found anywhere.

Does this mean the wedding is off or is there any way around this.

Please if anyone could help you would save a man from dying a painful death !!

Steve