This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Need help once more with buttons on Template

Yes, you have run into the same problem that lots of people have run into. Bravenet's editors do not have the ability to modify graphics.

I have looked into several methods of putting labels on those buttons, without having to buy expensive graphic software. There is a way of overlaying text onto the buttons and making the whole thing a link, however, it is fairly complicated and requires absolute positioning to make it work correctly. This is usually a problem with Bravenet's templates.

But there is a relatively simple way. The Bravenet template buttons are usually small JPG files. There is a web site named GR Sites that has a button maker. Their original intent is to use their backgrounds and colors to make your buttons. But I found out that, you can upload your template buttons and use them as backgrounds. Then you can insert labels on them.

The important part is that, once you upload the button, you set the image size to match the button size and choose the flat rectangular button. This make sure that the program doesn't change the image. Then you just work through the rest of the sections. Once you get down to the bottom, and click on Make My Button, you can still make changes. You can change the words, the font type/color/size, etc. until you have it the way you want. You can download the button with a right mouse click and a Save Image As. If the button is good you can loop back and make a dozen new buttons in minutes. Of course, save them under different names and upload them to your site.

Then you can go back to the File Managers editor and insert you new buttons. Bravenet's usual button reference, in the HTML, looks like the following. Not that the image size is referenced in the tag.

Assuming you have created a new button named "aboutme_button.jpg" and you have a page named "aboutme.html", your link might change to this:

It may take a little work to get use to the site, but in the end, it does a pretty good job.

Re: Re: Need help once more with buttons on Template

Thanks Once Again

Got the buttons made and saved, after a couple of attempts. Once I got going though, wasn't hard at all! You are absolutely wonderful.

Next will be uploading them to my site, wish me luck there!

Thanks again you wonderful guy you!
Tammy W

Re Re: Need help once more with buttons on Template

I am pleased for you.

I am using a bravenet template, too, but I haven't worked out how to alter text and header.

If you have done it perhaps you can help me a bit. I've spent hours of frustrating attempts

Kelvyn

Re: Re Re: Need help once more with buttons on Template

Well, like I said, I've been using the editor that bravenet has. I went in under 'visual', highlighted what I wanted replaced and just typed the new name.

I've tried a couple of other editors out there and the one bravenet offers seems to the be easiest one yet!

Tammy