This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Creating Directories for Website

I have 30 pages (and growing) on my website and I think directories might help with loading time altho not a big problem yet, and help me when I post updates. 1)Is there a simple rule of thumb about how many pages in a directory? 2)Any suggestions about grouping pages in a directory (by content relationship, by size? 3) How do I tie directories together?
I have had this website on Bravenet for more than a year and previously on another host but have always just had pages on the root directory (?) I use WebEasyPro 7 to build my pages offline and use FileZilla to upload to my website so I have minimal experience with html other than to do minor text editor changes.

Browser: IE 8?

Re: Creating Directories for Website

As far as i know, there is no way directories will reduce loading time. And logically, it should be just the opposite, though I doubt the server will spend enough time looking for the right directory for it to be measured.

The reason for using directories would normally be for your benefit, to make it easier to go through the corresponding folder on your computer to find the file you are going to edit.

In my opinion, the time you save that way is likely to be balanced by the time you spend trying to remember which directory a given file are in, and in sorting out problems cause by errors of location.

Within limits, of course. I started out in Geocities back when subdirectories was a perk you had to pay for, and am to old to change my habits much. So I run a site of about 1000 pages and lots of images in one directory. But I admit that this is probably way beyond the point where different directories really begin to make sense. When you get to a couple of hundred pages, thing about it again.

However, if you decide you need directories, content relationship is the only system that makes sense to me. I have noticed that filetype systems are popular, but have never heard an explanation of how this makes sense. Having your html files in one directory and the images displayed on them elsewhere just complicates coding. And if you want to find a file on your computer, just exclude the filetypes you are not looking for.

Re: Creating Directories for Website

Thanks, I really appreciate your explanation, this makes it all a little easier to understand.

Browser: IE 8?