This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Borders with shadows

How can I get Borders with shadows easily?

Browser: Chrome

Re: Borders with shadows

Try this link to DynamicDrive - CSS Library DIVs and containers. It details several methods to produce shadows on a container. Note that, shadowing doesn't necessarily work the same in all browsers. Specifically, things like blurred shadows. IE has trouble with blurring, but still produces a shadow.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

According to this page, an orchestral version of Borders With Shadows performed by Kitchener-Waterloo Youth Orchestra is available from Canadian Music Center.

... actually, I had intended to follow that up with a slightly more on-topic answer, but I see Philo already took care of that. (Better link than the one I found, too)

Why are things going to look different depending on what browser you use?

Alfred
Why are things going to look different depending on what browser you use?

No offense Alfred, but, you must be new to this stuff.

While HTML/CSS browser specifications are pretty complete, there is still a lot of room for browser developers to use their own judgement. Things like "text-shadow" and "box-shadow" are part of new CSS specifications and not fully implemented in all browser types. To use them at all requires you use the latest browser version. An older browsers will simply ignore the style and you will see no effect. Some browser types, like IE, have not caught up. With IE you can use "filters" to give the same effect.

So you have a half dozen different browser types, with 4 or 5 versions of each still in use. So depending on which codes you use, your coding may display 30 different ways. While that's a little exaggerated, not very much. When you design web pages you try to choose coding that does "mostly" the same thing in all browser types. If your going to use something new, like the "shadow" styles, make sure they degrade gracefully in browsers that don't understand them.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

James
How can I get Borders with shadows easily?

Read this:
www.alistapart.com/articles/cssdropshadows