This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Website Wizard Problems

Hi
I am trying to change the theme of my website using the website wizard, however when i try to change the content of the pages i keep getting error messages saying that the box can only contain 10000 characters including html. This message is coming up even when the visual box is empty. What can i do?

Help!

Thanks

Re: Website Wizard Problems

You need to stay away from using any editor, outside of the Wizard, to edit your Wizard design. Yes, I know you can see the files from the Visual/Text editors. However, changes made with those editors can not be pushed to the Wizard's data base. The next time you use the "publish" option in the Wizard, all external changes will be over written.

Some of the Wizard's themes center nicely, while others are a problem. The one you chose is a problem. But it can be centered. Go to "manage website" and open one of your pages for editing. Select "content block 1" as an example and then switch to the "Code Editor" mode. At the very end of any text in that content area, add the following code.

Code:
<style>.wrapper, .wrapback { margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; }</style>

Save your work and run through the "publish" utility. When you view your site, the page you edited should now be centered. You may need to force a couple of browser refreshes (F5 or Ctrl-R) to see the changes. To center all of the pages, add that same line to each of your pages. You can put it in any one of your content areas. Put the code in a content area that isn't changed often.

Note, if you change themes, the code may not work. The Wizard's themes use a variety of different structures. A fix for one is not necessarily a fix for all.

No, it is not possible to make that particular theme wider. You are wasting your time trying. The Wizard is intended for beginners and users who don't want to be bothered with HTML/CSS coding. There is nothing wrong with that but that also means that the Wizard is very limited in it's abilities. Forcing a Wizard creation to go beyond it's limitations is usually more work than starting from scratch using a template.

If you want some really good starter layouts, with good CSS examples, you might want to try the Dynamic Drive CSS Library. It has basic layouts for almost every possible need. Just don't use the Visual Editor on any of them. It will mess them up.

The templates in the template gallery are also pretty easy to use. Again, do not use the Visual Editor on them.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

Re: Website Wizard Problems

OOPS!! Posted to the wrong question.

However, your problem sounds like one we have run into before. I believe the only way to get it fixed was to contact Bravenet through a trouble ticket. Since it appears you have paid hosting, you shouldn't have any problem getting a response from Bravenet.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....