This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
help me create a new web page

I'm trying to create multiple pages for my website. I know there's a way to do it through the file manager, but I can't figure it out. I would greatly appreciate any help

Re: help me create a new web page

What is the problem you have with creating multiple pages? What file manager are you talking about? Something on your system, or are you using a host with online editors? I've never come across such an editor that is any good, so you would be better off downloading a real editor. (Unless you are working from borrowed computers where you aren't allowed to install anything).

I'm using the editor from the hosting website. whats a good editor to download?

Well is your site hosted here at bravenet or elsewhere

if elsewhere we couldn't help you with their editors

But if you are using the wizard or the visual/text editors here we could

As for other editors it depends on your skills as well too. You will need to know html and more

Every web page is a different html file.

Saving an html file is no different to saving a word file or an excel file. Just use the normal "save as" option in the file menu.

carlos
I'm trying to create multiple pages for my website. I know there's a way to do it through the file manager, but I can't figure it out. I would greatly appreciate any help

The initial question had to do with creating a multi-page web site from the File Manager. While it is possible to do, there is nothing directly build in to the File Manager to work with multi-page web site. The editors in the File Manager do not have a sense of paging. Everything is manual. They only work on a single page at a time.

If you want to make multiple pages, you could start with a template, and then make multiple copies, using different names. Then, edit the navigation menu in each one, so that it included the pages you created. The choice for most uses would be the Visual editor. But Bravenet's Visual has problems and will only cause problems. Overall, it's a lot of work and requires a good understanding of HTML and CSS.

It's possible to add a Javascript driven navigation menu, which could be added to each page dynamically. Then editing it would change the navigation menu on all pages. But then you need a fair knowledge of Javascript.

The only web site builder on Bravenet that has a sense of paging, is the Website Wizards. The Wizards are meant for beginners and users that don't want to deal directly with HTML/CSS. The Wizards take care of creating new pages and updating the navigation menu on all the pages. There are a lot of restrictions that experienced users might find annoying, but it can do a fair job for someone starting out.

carlos
I'm using the editor from the hosting website. whats a good editor to download?

If you want to work with a editor off-line, I write all my pages using HTML-Kit. HTML-Kit is a free text based web page design tool. This is a great editor, if your pretty familiar with HTML/CSS coding. It's not something a beginner should use.

Or, you might want to try KompoZer. KompoZer is a free graphic based web page design tool, that's pretty easy to use. I use the stable version, V7.1, but there is a newer Beta release available, V8b3. KompoZer has built in upload capability (FTP), making it simple to update your site off line, and then just upload it to your web site.

Other users often recommend "Nvu". But if you go to the Nvu web site you will find that, the last release of Nvu was June 2005. And that, KompoZer is really a updated version of Nvu.

KompoZer will work directly with the templates that Bravenet offers in their Template Gallery. You can take a single template, customize it for your web site. The customization might include modifying the header, adding a logo, and modifying the navigation menu. Then use the customized template to generate all your pages.

If you wanted to work with more generic templates, you might try Dynamic Drive CSS Library. You can get a basic page structure and a menu that you like. Put them together and make your own custom template.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

Is your web site a free website or paid. You might try the wizard to start with. That way you can automatically add pages.

Kompozer is good to use and it is free. If you do not know how to code links etc. read up on HTML, linking pages. CSS and how to make web site menus. This might help.