This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
HELP WITH TEMPLATES CHANGING LOOK OF MY WEBSITE

I have 7 pages on my website.

I want to change my old template for the newer FREE templates.

I am afraid of losing information.

How do I go about uploading 7 new templates to replace the old 7 templates. I want a newer image.

HELP ASAP PLEASE

Re: HELP WITH TEMPLATES CHANGING LOOK OF MY WEBSITE

You are using the Website Wizard. You "can not" upload a new template into the Wizard. The Website Wizard is limited to the Themes and Layouts available from within the Wizard.

You need to use a different editor to make use of the free templates. Bravenet has a on-line Visual/Text editor for editing the templates, but I don't recommend it. The Visual editor deletes entries that it doesn't understand. That has caused many problems and it doesn't look like the editor is ever going to be fixed.

Since the output of the Website Wizard is visible in the File Manager, some users try to use the Visual/Text editors on the files. This is almost always a disaster. Because of the deficiencies in the Visual editor, the web page may not be compatible with all browsers. And, if you ever go back to the Wizard and use the "publish" option, all the changes you made with the Visual/Text editor will be overwritten.

A better approach to web site design is to download a web page design application to your PC. Then you can use FTP to upload your pages and changes as you make them. There are some free applications that are pretty good. Check the webs site that I link to in the signature. There are also many reasonably priced applications available.

Getting away from the Wizard will not destroy any data that you already have. The Wizard will save everything for as long as you have an account. But to use it you will probably have to do a copy/paste into a new document.

Browser: FIrefox