This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
preventing anyone from copying

Hi,

How do I prevent anyone from copying photo's from my web site?

Sincere thanks.

Re: preventing anyone from copying

really no way of preventing people from copying your photos

put some copyright on your images or a watermark or something.

OR don't put it on your site

even with the NO RIGHT CLICK code on your site people can work around it

It actually takes longer to open the photo to look at it than it does to break a no right click code and download it.

The only protection is not to put it on the web in the first place.

How would I go about doing the "no right click" to my site. That would at least stop the average Joe from taking the photo's.

Who is this "Joe" you are talking about? An 8 year old, or someone in his eighties who has decided it is finally time to give this internet thing a try?

Maybe the previous poster confused you by (in an otherwise quite correct statement) talking about "breaking the code". There is nothing to break. The thing only works if you actually believe right-clicking is the only way of copying images. For many years now, all the browsers I use have the option of simply saving the entire webpage - images and all.

And while a great number of people will respect a simple request not to copy the images, pages with such code is considered fair game. It is likely to be counterproductive and annoy visitors who use the context menu for many other purposes.

There was no call for being rude. I posted a question, & it seems you have nothing better to day all day other than to sit on your butt picking folk to pieces...We were all newbies at one time !!

Sharon MOVE ON

if you don't like answers that is TOUGH

We give you the truth on what you want and more

but you can't take it

Rude? I went back to see who that could possibly an answer to. Then I realized: If you can ask this question you must be "average Joe" too. Well, I didn't mean to imply that your mental development was realized at age 8. I did not suggest senility. But newbies are getting harder to harder to find these days.

If you have something that it would actually be harmful to have copied onto other peoples websites (rare, but it happens), I should think the information that there is no way that really works would be kind of useful?

Who the hell are you guys talking too(!?)
If you guys dont like the question's people post on these forums, you should find another forum.

Sharon, my apologises for these two. If they are not going to answer the question, they shouldn't post (!!)

I understand what your asking. It is possible too stop people right clicking on your images and 'save as'. There are a number of ways to steal images though, one is checking the source code of a website, identify the image link and 'copy and paste' into the URL address.

Try the following link which has a code to help:

Try this code

James you and Sharon go play together now in your little corner

If you two don't like our posts or answers then YOU TWO don't post

The previous posters are true with their answers and more as Right click is annoying and more. I wouldn't put something on a site if I am SO SO SO afraid of someone stealing it

PLAIN AND SIMPLE

If you want right click code go to google and look it up

But as said find it annoying with websites and more and not worth the time.

Sincere thanks James. It is sure nice to know that there are still some kind and helpful people in this world.

The whole point of the forum is for people to ask question in regards to website designing.
Sharons question was a simple and important question ABOUT WEBSITE DESIGNING!!

People post the question, others answer. Thats the point of the forum.

Now p**s off to bed before your mother realises your still up!!

And for the person (n/a) You f**king stupid little ******

I hate little kids like you. Get picked on at school did you? Big tough guy on the forum huh...!

If you lived in York I'd come looking for ya! F*g!

- Sharon, maybe find another forum love, one were the children are not allowed to play. Good luck with your website.

Dear Sharon:

Although I am probably not as knowledgeable as these other people I do remember being a newbie. There were people who were kind enough to answer my questions without sarcasm. I also realize that in the minds of the general public bravenet.com is represented by what is put on the forums.

Well here goes. Maybe this will help:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/01/25/watermark-your-photos-for-free-with-picmarkr/ (Hey this is cool! Wish I had found it sooner. Could have used this years ago. It is all about watermarker your photos, gifs etc. for free.)

http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/photography/articles/10164.aspx Be careful about giving out email address though. That can invite a lot of trouble you would rather not have. I find for contact form mail is better. Free form mail that hides your email address is available.

http://www.auctiva.com/edu/entry.aspx?id=Watermarking-Your-Images This also list some freeware you can use. You can also use Sumo Paint at www.sumopaint.com which is free and you can use it online.

You can also put free online or cloud software to water mark.

For Microsoft Word or Office or if you have the Microsoft operating system just go to paint after you have copied the graphic. Then add text to the graphic and save.

I sincerely hope this helps you. However remember locks, safes, copyrights, etc. just keep the honest guys honest. There are always the thieves among us for now.

Be sure to put the (c) sign with your name and date. Keep a copy of the photo or have it put on a disk and hard copy. The reason for this is that it should be dated. You can also e-mail the photos to yourself or snail mail to yourself. That should stand up in court.

I once had an entire website stolen from me. A friend of mine designed a very large website for a company. He is a graphic artist and web site designer. The thief thought he would not get caught but he did. He found out the was dealing with a multi national company.

Remember, please, to keep a dated copy for yourself. If by snail mail i.e. local post office, be sure an not open the envelope. A sealed envelope proves that it is yours. If you go to the local drug store or photo shop to have photos made that should stand up too.

Good luck. I hope I have helped.

PS. I enjoyed your site. It downloads fast on my computer which is very old now. Your labs are beautiful.

Sincere thanks for your help Shood and for your kind words regarding our dogs. :-)

Thanks to all those that are kind enough to help out us newbie's.

You can replace the text thank you for visiting my site to anything you want in this HTML code to stop right clicking.