This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Page Alignment using Theme Wizard

I've just started creating my website using the Theme Wizard. When I preview it, I see that it is flush left. I understand that you cannot have a full page with the Theme Wizard, but is there any way to at least center the page?

Note: the page is not published yet and I am using Firefox with a Vista OS.

Browser: Firefox

Re: Page Alignment using Theme Wizard

You get the theme that you choose. If it doesn't do what you want then choose a different theme.

Nobody is forcing you to use the Wizard, if none of the themes available suit them use a third party template with a different editor or design your own page.

Peter, your reply is rather curious and a little disparaging for no apparent reason. I asked a simple question on a forum that states it is for members with questions about web design. I am new to bravenet and needed help in designing my page. I like the theme I have chosen and i just wanted to know if there is a way to center it on the page.

If there is anyone out there who knows what I mean, I would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

Joanna
Peter, your reply is rather curious and a little disparaging for no apparent reason.

These forums are pretty much unmoderated, so you have to learn to just ignore resonses that don't offer any real help. There are very few users on these forums that will attempt a Wizard quesiton. So the usual response is to use something other than the Wizard.

It is true that many of the Wizard Themes are not designed to center properly. They are usually designed to not do anything the way you want. You can't please everyone, so no matter which one a user chooses, they want it to be a little different. That's why I don't use the Wizard for anything really serious. I use it mostly to find ways of getting around it's limitations.

But it is possible, by adding some CSS code to one of your content areas, to center your web pages. Sometimes, depending on the Theme, it is possible to do other fixes, like making it wider or have more than 7 pages. But the Themes are much more difficult to work with and modify than the Layouts.

I would tell you right off whether it could be done, or not, and how to do it, but you said the following.

Joanna
Note: the page is not published yet and I am using Firefox with a Vista OS.

Without knowing which Theme you are talking about specifically, I can't provide any information. It's always important to include a link that we can see, especially when you dealing with the Wizard. Which Theme did you choose and which layout? Then I can put it on one of my test sites and see if it can be centered.

Browser: FIrefox

Thanks for the reply, Philo. It's good to know now that the theme wizard isn't the greatest of choices. Anyway, though I'm still designing it, I published my page and here's the link to it:

www.losingmyself.bravehost.com

Thanks again for your help.

You may have published, but you forgot to re-enable your site. When I use the URL you provided, I get a message that says your site is disabled. Go to the your Website Manager and check your site's status. There should be a button or link to enable it.

oops

it's enabled now--thanks

Well, it does seem that the Theme you chose can be made to center. And, to show you it can be done, here is a link to Philos Theme Centering Test.

The fix is pretty simple but does require each of your pages to have a small piece of added code.

1. When your in the Wizard select "manage website" and then select a page to edit. Your home page is a good start.

2. Select one of the content blocks for editing. It really doesn't matter which one, but I usually select "Content Block 1".

3. Switch from the Visual Editor to the Code Editor, using the Code Editor tab.

4. Scroll to the very end of your text, and insert the following line of code. You can just copy/paste it right from this post, but you might want to keep it in a file on your PC, in case you need to re-insert it.

Code:
<style>.wrapper{ width: 760px ; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; }</style>

5. Save your work and select another page for editing. Since the Theme Wizard doesn't let you add code to the header or footer, each page needs to have the same line of code.

6. When your all done, go through the "publish website" process.

That's it. When you view your page changed from a web browser, force a couple of browser refreshes (F5 or Ctrl-R). This will force your browser to update it's data. Try it on one page and see if you like it. It seems to work fine in Firefox and IE. I didn't have anything else on hand to try it out with.

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate you taking the time out to lend me a hand. I am making the changes now and continuing to build my site. You have been a tremendous help -- thanks!